Wednesday, August 3, 2016

The Ranch 7/8-9/16

Hi,

It was another fabulous weekend at The Ranch with The Kelly Rae Band. We hadn't planned anything special for this show so I brought only my Carvin LB76 and my Guild Pilot 5-string for backup.


Since we're all using IEMs I didn't use the GK rig. It wasn't even plugged in. I'm using just my tuner pedal and the JDI direct box. Yes, I also use the clip-on tuner to get a second opinion.

We all showed up early to load in and sound check because we wanted to rehearse a couple of new pop songs before the doors opened. Here's Kelly, pre-makeup, and Mario going over lyrics while Art tunes.


Art is really ready to sound check.


I invited our sound man, Mark, to take an amp-selfie with me but when he realized what I was doing he took off.


Instead, here is Mark at the control booth, the bridge of the Starship Enterprise, in other words.. FOH.


After we sound check and run through a couple of new pop songs, we retire to the green room for supper. I'm trying to watch my girlish figure so I have a beet salad and a chopped salad with grilled chicken breast. Art is having the seared Ahi tuna and Kelly is having the fried shrimp. A couple of the guys had the fish tacos, which are really delish. Jeff shared his deviled eggs with us.


Soon it was time to hit the stage. Here's Mario and Art.


Kelly takes an amp-selfie with me.


Here's Heather, the entertainment manager, who is announcing the band tonight.


Heather is kind enough to take an amp-selfie with me. (The smoke machine got in the way and made the picture a little fuzzy.)


Here's Mario's view from behind the drum shield.


I guess Mario is used to that kind of treatment.


A little later in the evening, Jeff pounds out the intro to "Don't Stop Believing".


Kelly commands the stage.


The crowd was great fun even though it was kind of light for a Friday night.


They love to get out on the floor and sing along.


Saturday night I had the Buffalo Chicken Sandwich and a chopped kale salad with grilled chicken for supper. (I hadn't eaten all day.) Mario had the seared Ahi tuna.


As we were getting ready for our first set I ducked into the monitor room to put on my IEMs. I grabbed a picture of Daniel and Art from behind the monitor console.


Jeff is ready to rock his key-tar.


Art, Daniel, Kelly, and Jeff pose for a quick picture before we get started.



Here's a "beauty and the bass player" amp-selfie.


Heather, the club's entertainment manager, poses with me in the green room.


We celebrated Jeff's birthday tonight. His wife brought the cake.


Some friends of Jeff and his wife came out to celebrate with the band.


Jeff and Mrs. Jeff enjoy celebrating with friends.


Here are a few action shots from the weekend taken by the staff photographer.


The camera is so nice to Kelly. 



Here's Art and his slide guitar on "Heartache Tonight". 


Daniel gives us a wry grin. 


I love harmonizing with these two. 


A couple of shots across the stage.



At the end of the night I pack up my two basses and head home. The DJ keeps the dancers on the floor until closing.


We had a great weekend. Our new Justin Timberlake song came off really well. The new Meghan Trainor song, not so much. It's just too much of a silly pop song but Kelly wanted to do it for some friends. What's a poor country bass player to do?  Until next time, thanks for looking!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment