Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Fourth of July Weekend 2016

Hello friends,

I just realized that I am more than a month behind with posting up my gigs. For all three of my viewers all around the world, I apologize and will try to get caught up over the next week or so.

Since I played three gigs with two bands over the 4th of July weekend I'm just going to lump them all into this post, lots of pictures, lots of food, lots of fun.

It started with a three and a half hour drive out to Ojai. It normally takes two hours but, you know, traffic. There was no trouble watching our downhill speed as we made our way through the Valley.




After leaving the coast highway, "the 101", we made our way inland a bit to Ojai, nestled in the coastal mountains. There were a couple of smaller towns along the way, Casitas Springs and Oak View. Casitas Springs likes to flaunt the fact that they had a celebrity in their midst for a little while.




He wasn't born there but lived there during his "dark California days". If it attracts tourists I guess it's good for business. I arrived at the Ojai Vally Inn and Spa only to find that the event was being held at one of their remote sites.


I got directions from the young lady at the gate and made my way down some lovely backroads to the venue.
 

I was told there would be a bridge but this one had me a little concerned. We had to cross a gorge onto the "ranch" where the event was being held. The bridge was sturdier than it looks.


A short drive down a dirt road brought me to the ranch house.
 

The event, a family reunion, was being held in and around the barn out back.


It was actually a nice place for a dance and they had a good sized stage set up for us.


After being on the road for three and a half hours, first things first.


It wasn't an actual outhouse, it did have all the modern conveniences as event venues are known to have.
 

The others arrive shortly after I do. Jack and Kelly were already here. So we start setting up for an evening of fun.




Daniel was not on this gig. He had a prior commitment. He missed a good time. I brought my normal rig. With the corrugated steel walls and ceiling I could have brought my 2x10 cab and been just fine.


Jack also brought some stage lighting. It looks like we are just about done.
 

After we get set up we head back to our hotel rooms to freshen up and change into our gig clothes. As you can see, the bridge is pretty substantial.




I take another backroad to the hotel. These are the kind of roads I like to ride on my motorcycle.




Downtown Ojai is very charming with a real "small town" feel.




These were our digs for the evening. The Capri Hotel was build in 1963 and has done its best to hang onto its '60s vibe. I think it's a pretty hip place, something right out of "Madmen".


Here's a view of the lobby. It totally reminds me of my childhood. I'm a child of the '60s.
 

The room was clean and comfortable, with Rice Crispy Treats on the pillows. I love Rice Crispy Treats.




The room was also accessorized with a real record player, a small selection of albums, a VHS player, and a collection of James Bond movies. I thought it was pretty cool.




After freshening up I headed back to the venue. The locals were already staking their prime spots to watch their 4th of July parade, two days ahead. These are some friendly neighbors.


When I arrived there were about 120 members of the Levitt family from all over the country playing games and having fun. It was very heartwarming to see such a large, closely knit family enjoying each other's company.


I climbed up to the hay loft to snap another picture of the stage before we got started.




And Jack took a glam shot of the band.


After our cocktail hour set we got to eat. They started us off with a nice salad and Coke in a little bottle.
 

Following that was a nicely grilled chicken breast with a tasty gravy and garnish over potatoes, squash, and zucchini.




But my favorite was the fresh baked cookies for dessert.




Now that I'm ready for a nap, we have to make our way back to the stage for a nice long dance set. The Levitt family is enjoying their supper.




We stop on the way to take another picture in front of some rustic scenery.





Art is ready to get the party started.




Mario is reminding me that we have to play vewy, vewy, qwuietly. Notice the brushes.




It was mostly the younger folk dancing while the adults hung out at the bar.




The band had a lot of fun. The family has a reunion every three years in different areas all across the country. This was the first time they've had a live band. We were a hit.


We managed to keep a lid on the volume, not one complaint.
 

I glance at Jeff. I must be looking for a queue. "Where's the bridge?"




Everybody sings along with Kelly. I think we're doing "Don't Stop Believing". Everyone loves to sing along to that one.




Everyone had a great time. We played a couple of encores. Finally it's time to pack it in, head back to the hotel, and get some sleep before driving home.




On the way back to my room I stop to pick up a nice double bock, Paulaner Salvator, and enjoy a few while listening to Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66.


And that's that for my July 2nd gig. My July 3rd gig is with The Arnie Newman Band. Arnie booked a private party in Anaheim Hills. Talk about your one percent'ers. This was the high life.


It was a very exclusive community behind a really big gate.


There was a huge fountain in the middle of the roundabout. We're playing at a residence down the street.




This is where the party's at. Arnie and Jason have just finished unloading when I arrive.


I back into the driveway to unload. Does my Astro van look a little out of place?
 

Look at this back yard. There was also a basketball court behind the gazebo.


Oh, I guess you can't see the gazebo very well. It's behind that tree behind the fountain. You'll see it later. The hosts were very gracious and gave us some shade while we were setting up.


We got to eat before we started. I had one of their gourmet burgers without the bun with three cheese mac and corn chutney.


We're just about to start. The umbrellas were moved after my amp-selfie. I didn't realize I was photobombed by the back of Jason's head.
 

Arnie is using his wireless rig to take requests. It seems half the house opened up to the pool side.




That's Randy on his steel. He and I were both big fans of the dessert table.




While we were playing the ladies were having a hula-hoop contest. It was fun to watch.




Here's a shot of the stage area from the other side of the pool.




Jason wore his cargo shorts for the gig. Shame on him.


Randy and Paul had a good time.


Arnie looks like Merle Haggard and plays like Van Halen and Chet Atkins.


Another shot of our gear with the American flag flying overhead.
 

The big folding glass wall behind us was open allowing us to walk through the parlor to get to the restrooms.




The big hit of the evening was the "candy cannon". It's basically a mortar that one of the sons built. They've been using it the last 4 or 5 years to shoot candy into the air for all the kids grab. It was a hoot!




The fuse was lit, a big BOOM ensued, and candy was sprayed all over the back yard. Maybe you can see it flying though the air.




They set it off twice that evening. I guess all the neighbors were expecting it because there were no complaints that I heard.




After the sun went down it was time for sparklers.




I got in on the sparkler action too.




While we were tearing down there were many "safe and sane" fireworks being lit.




Now we're all packed up and ready to load out. The hosts enjoyed themselves and even tipped each of us in the band an extra buck. It was a really fun and profitable night.


For my last gig on the 4th of July weekend, we played at the Sun and Sail Club in Lake Forest. Since Kelly's parents live here we've done a lot of smaller parties in their clubhouse. But this is the first time I've played this big outdoor festival. The band used to play this gig a lot but it's been a number of years, back before I joined the band. They had a nice big tent set up over the stage and dance area. The lake was literally right behind us. Only a three foot sidewalk separated the stage from the lake.
 

The PA was pretty huge. I think this is all EAW gear.


Outside of the tent they had arrays pumping the sound all around the lake.


The sound company was using racks and racks of QSC amps.


Mario and I were backlined by the band following us. This was an SVT pro and a couple of Warwick cabs. Yeah, yeah, I know, a 15 with a 212. But it sounded just fine for a stage monitor.
 

Here's a view of the FOH tent from my mic during sound check.


This is Anthony at the FOH. It's hard to mix when the band is under a tent like that. Anthony knew what he was doing and made it work.








Here's the view from Anthony's Yamaha mixer.




Here's Mario on a budget DW kit giving the sound man some kick drum.


Jeff and Art had an earlier gig today with our friend Gina. They arrived with 35 minutes to spare. I was originally going to play that gig with them but I didn't want to work that hard today.
 

Here's a sound check picture of the talent in the band.


The talent joins the bass player for an amp-selfie.


And on with the show!


Art kicks off an intro.


Kelly sings to the growing crowd.


During our break, Kelly's parents take the band wives and kids on their boat for a ride around the lake.
 

There were crowds all around the lake. There were people lined up along the street too, waiting for the fireworks show after dark.




This is the part of the show where I have time to take a picture of Daniel while he does "Devil Went Down To Georgia".


We play two sets and we're done. We strike the stage and get out of the way so the next band can get set up and sound checked.


It was a busy, fun 4th of July weekend. Thanks for looking!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment