Friday, August 5, 2016

El Monte Arceo Park 8/3/16

To all of you who are the foundation of tone, building bridges to solidify the space between rhythm and music, I bid you greetings.

The Kelly Rae Band and I played a summer concert in the park last night (Wednesday, 8/3/16) in El Monte at Arceo Park. It was a little cooler than it has been lately but it was still pretty dang warm.

We got to pull into the park and park behind the band shell to unload. I guess I could have pulled in a little closer but there was a line of cars already there, from the sound crew and other band members.


The sound crew was ready for us, were very helpful, and knew their stuff. They were all musicians too so they pretty much knew what we needed.


Here's one side of the mains. They were in the band shell with us so we heard a LOT of the house while we were playing.


Here's a shot from the FOH console. Phil Reyes (of Souvenir Entertainment - Facebook page) was our engineer. He was very professional and quick to give us what we needed in our monitors.


This was a pretty nice facility. There were dressing rooms and restrooms backstage on both sides of the structure.


Here's Rob getting Mario squared away. Mario is signing an autograph book for a nice young man named Alex.


Nick gets Art's amp mic'd up.


A picture of the generator has become standard with my summer concert posts. This time it was a pretty green one.


A local radio station was in attendance as well as a good representation of the El Monte Police Department. It was the annual "National Night Out" for law enforement, a community outreach program.


Here's the view from my mic as we start to think about beginning our sound check in a little while.


Daniel couldn't make this gig so next to Art is Paul. He's worked with the band before.


Nick gets Mario's kit mic'd up.


Jeff looks like he is all ready for sound check.


Rob is just making sure the kit is ready to go as Mario gives Phil some kick drum.


Why not? Here's a sound check selfie. Maybe one day I'll get a barbecue stain on my white t-shirt.


After sound check we had to move our vehicles out of the park. I was told we could park on the street. I parked next to this sign. I figured I'd just tell them "I'm in the band".


This is Paul's rig. He's crazy loud. He and Art had some volume wars going on today. I was glad I'm on the other side of the stage.


This was Art's rig today. Since we were outside he brought one of his bigger amps, a Deluxe reverb.


Here's my small rig and Mario's kit. Mario has more monitor than I have bass amp.


We retire to the dressing room and wait for the talent to arrive. We were furnished a tub full of water and soda. We stayed well hydrated.


Along with all the drinks, we were provided a tub full of salty snacks to munch on. Crunchy food calms the nerves.


We're still hanging out waiting for Kelly. I guess driving up from the south OC was a bear today. Lucky me, I had a quick 20 minute jaunt from work.


Our dear Kelly has arrived. We do a quick sound check with her. I'm kinda digging Kelly's cap.


I guess they'll let anybody in this joint, even a bass player.


OK, we're all sound checked and the stage is set.


Paul says "I didn't do it" and points toward Art who's trying to act innocent.


Kelly and Mario discuss an upcoming gig. There are speeches going on and we're just waiting to be announced.


While we're waiting, why not take another "beauty and the bass player" selfie?


It looks like they're just about ready to start thinking about moving on towards the end of their speeches. This is the mayor, members of the city council, and other city officials.


Since it's National Night Out the LEO representatives are introduced. We were all encouraged to hug a cop. I didn't hug anyone but I did shake a few hands.


OK, let's get this party started! It looks like Phil is ready at the FOH console.


Mario wasn't feeling his best today. He was having an issue with a tooth and can't see the dentist until Saturday. Ouch.


Kelly asks, "Would you like a lozenge?"


OK, that's better. She gives us a nice smile in front of the crowd.


Jeff was amused with the lozenge bit.


Towards the end of the show Paul also does the ever popular "Devil Went Down To Georgia".


Then these lovely ladies give away the 50/50 drawing and other raffle prizes.


Then the stage crew gets busy. They were very efficient and almost got their gear put away before we did.


Rob and Nick (and Phil, not pictured) are all stand-up guys. I enjoyed talking shop with them and they bent over backwards taking care of the band. I hope we get to work together again.


If you're the praying kind, I'd like to ask you to remember Madison, Nick's 14 year old daughter, in your prayers. She had a kidney transplant 7 years ago and her body has started to reject the transplant. The doctors caught it early and are treating her but it's going to be a rough go. Thank you for your prayers.

As I rolled my gear out to my trusty "Bob van Astro" I became worried when I saw a paper stuffed under the windshield wiper. I was relieved when I found this.


It seems the coordinators were kind enough to mark our vehicles in the no parking zone so that the LEOs knew we were supposed to be there.

All in all, it was a fun night and I was home before 10pm. This weekend we're at The Ranch and Saturday most of us (the KRB Quartet) have a double with the Sawdust Festival being our early gig. Thanks for looking!


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment