Wednesday, August 3, 2016

La Habra Marketplace, 7/21/16

Greetings and salutations!

The Kelly Rae Band and I played another summer concert series at the La Habra Marketplace, a large shopping district in north Orange County.

I found the shopping center and pulled up to the stage area. I was told we would not be covered but I didn't know it would be a parking lot gig. It's been a while since I've played in a parking lot. We got to park right behind the stage, very handy.


It was 100º when I arrived. With the black stage and all the asphalt it was probably closer to 115º.


I brought my little rig again, GK MB500 and Carvin RL210. It's all I needed.


There was plenty of room blocked off in the parking lot for us.


This is Brett and Robert. Robert worked with us the day before in Orange. It's the same sound company but Brett was running FOH today. We had a few technical glitches right at the top of the show but he had us sounding great in no time. These are a couple of nice guys to work with.


Art arrived in a rental van. It seems his big yellow truck needs a new transmission. Drat. But he still has a smile on his face.


Jeff arrives and gets set up.


Here is Art's good side. But apparently Daniel doesn't think so.


Robert gets to work hanging lights on the truss work.


Our generator was quiet and kept us powered.


Mario arrives and sets up. I kind of wish we could have dressed like that for the gig.


This big blue box saved the day for us.


The city of La Habra filled it with water and ice for us.


Do soundmen ever get enough kick drum?


Here I am with my one note sound check. Yes, even I wore a hat today.


The boss lady arrives. We knew she was the boss because it said so on her hat.


Brett helps get the stage wired.


Jeff sound checks his key-tar.


This is Nikki, our lovely line dance instructor today. She teaches at the local rec center and also comes out to The Ranch to see us. We love Nikki.


Before we get started with our show, Nikki teaches the locals a couple of line dances.


While Nikki is busy with the crowd, I enjoy a heaping helping of talent juice. I've been working 10 hour days and I need a little pick-me-up.


The sun was just brutal when we started, right in our faces.


Luckily it was behind those trees about halfway through our first set.

This is actually a keyboard-selfie. My amp wasn't tall enough to use for an amp-selfie.


The mayor of La Habra makes a few announcements and gets the show started.



The sun was so bad that Mario had to wear his baseball cap backwards.


Art and Daniel are ready to rock this parking lot.


Jeff gives us a friendly wave before we begin our musical journey on the asphalt.


Then sun has finally gone down enough so that we are in some shadow. There are a few hundred people in the crowd.


As the sun set the city workers took away the EZ-Ups. Hey, who do I see in the crowd?


Upon closer inspection, I see my friend Chris (black baseball cap holding a big drink cup) with his wife and son. We also see Nikki on the left, and Brett in the blue t-shirt, running sound out front on his tablet.


I had to be on my best behavior, with two other bass players in the house. Gee, I can't take the pressure!

We're all feeling a little better now that the sun is going down and it's cooling off to only 90º or so.


This must be "Devil Went Down To Georgia". You can tell because I'm taking a picture of Daniel singing.


Kelly went off the set list tonight. She saw a bunch of older folks in the audience and called things like "Stand By Your Man" and "King Of The Road". I saw the "seasoned citizens" singing along. Good call, Kelly.

We didn't do "Don't Stop Believing" tonight but I was able to get a shot of Jeff playing something.



While I was there I bought two raffle tickets to win a restored '65 Mustang. I wish I would've remembered to take a picture. I'll take a picture after I win it. OK? Then it was time for us to go home.


I didn't get anything to eat at this gig. But I did enjoy a few of these when I got home.


Tomorrow we've got wedding at The Ranch at Laguna Beach. It looks like a pretty nice venue. After the gigs we've had this week I really hope it's indoors, air conditioned, and we get fed. These summer parking lot gigs are brutal. But even if it's outdoors, it should be nice right by the ocean.

Thanks for looking.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment