Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Downtown Disney 7/13/16

Greetings!

This gig is a blast to play. It was especially interesting to watch all the kids on their phones playing Pokemon Go. For some reason Disney doesn't put a lot into this event. They don't provide sound. So Jack and I combined our PA systems again and filled the place with music. I brought my banging little Carvin mains and powered mixer, Jack brought his A&H mixer and a half dozen powered Mackie 15" speakers. We use four of the Mackies for monitors and used two to supplement the FOH. Jack was already unloaded by the time I arrived. (There was a wreck on the freeway.)


Here's Jacks mixer. He sends a signal to my Carvin XP1000L for the FOH and also to each of the floor monitors for the four mixes. Jeff and I share. Art and Daniel share. Kelly and Mario get their own mix.


The stage is all set and ready to go.


Art and Mario let Jack know what kind of sound pressure levels they require in their monitor.


Poor Mario had to borrow a couple of cables and a mic. He apologized and said it was his first gig.


It looks like we are getting pretty close to downbeat. Here's my amp-selfie.


Jeff, Art, and Daniel are trying to decide what key to do "Mustan Sally" in.


The view from my mic. As soon as we started making noise the crowd would show up. We had to wait for the park music to stop. It was on a timer and quit right at 6pm. There's nothing Micky Mouse about this place.


It was a warm day so I did my best to stay hydrated.


Just as we were about to start, a sweet little old lady came up to chat. She's seen us before and wanted to know if we were going to play some different songs. I assured her that we were playing three completely different shows tonight. She had a good time.


Mrs. BassCliff was at this gig and took a few action shots.


Art and Daniel ham it up.


Kelly puts on the show.


We played three sets for this engagement. Here I'm stepping out front taking a little solo.


Kelly and I do a little singing and dancing.


On our second break, the lovely Mrs. BassCliff brings me a nice sandwich from the Earl Of Sandwich shop. It was their house special, pastrami, chicken, cheese, etc. Not bad at all.


And for desert Mrs. BassCliff scored some freshly baked, and still hot, beignets. These things were great.


Here's a view of the stage before we start our last set.


We had a lot of dancers throughout the evening. You just can't see them in this picture.


Mario was having fun doing the chicken dance too.


We took a pause of about 15 minutes during our last show to watch the fireworks. Oooooh! Aaaaahh!


Then we were back at it for another 15 minutes and played until 10pm. Jeff is having fun on the intro to "Don't Stop Believing".


Kelly entertains the masses.


Then at 10 o'clock the band turns into roadies, just like the fairy tale.


I don't know about you, but I think this is impressive. I've got my PA, my bass rig, two basses, speaker stands, clothes, gig bag, cable box, backpack, etc, everything I brought to the gig in one load on my Rock-N-Roller cart.


It's kind of a long gig because we have to set up and tear down our own sound but it's worth it. It pays better than a bar plus it's good exposure. I'm thinking we'll do a few more of these in the future. We have some other private parties booked at Disneyland but nothing for the general public. As much as I've worked at Disneyland I've never played on the Tomorrowland Terrace. You know, that stage that comes up out of the ground. I think it's gone now after the Star Wars remodeling. I guess I missed my chance. But there are lots of other fun places to play in the park. As always, thanks for looking!


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff


No comments:

Post a Comment