Thursday, January 2, 2020

The Ranch, 12/27-28/19

Hello friends,

I hope this little gig report finds you well and ready for the New Year. The Country Club Band featuring the lovely Ms. Amanda Kate were at The Ranch this weekend. They let me play bass again for them. Nice folks.

It's been lovely here in Southern California with the rainy season depositing lots of snow in the local mountains. I like looking at the snow. I like visiting the snow. I like that I can leave it in the mountains after I visit.


Friday night started off very light. I was a bit concerned. It seems like most folks are saving their partying for New Years Eve. Later on we had a pretty good crowd come in but you could tell the whole weekend was a little slower than usual.


After I plugged in my bass to my DI box I joined the gang in the green room for some makeup and some supper. Yes, I have a little winter scruff going. I'll shave it off before I go back to the office on Jan. 2.


 Friday night I had the beet salad with a bun-less Buffalo Chicken Sandwich. I've got to start cutting back on my carbs. My jeans are getting too tight due to the holiday eating schedule.


Jed ordered the pecan tart with ice cream. I didn't take a bite. Maybe next time.


Shelly taught dance lessons all weekend because Dev was out. Usually they split the weekend.


I think these two look great on stage next to each other. I played my  new Kiesel PB5 (left) for the first set since it was mostly traditional country. I still need to get it set up more to the way I like it. That's  my Carvin LB76 on the right, purchased in 1995.


Amanda and I sing a dramatic song, Shallow, while Jed strums his acoustic.


On a break Johnny Magic Fingers and I enjoy an adult beverage. Mine is a 24th Street Pale Ale and John had some froo-froo liqueur.


Arnie's sister Marcy and her family were in town and came into the club on Friday night. I didn't even know Arnie had a sister.


Then we are back on stage, enjoying all the fun being had.


Here we are doing our best honky tonkin'.


John is cool, calm, and collected behind his fortress of keyboards.


Amanda was doing a lot of her Carrie Underwood tunes this weekend. We have a tribute show tonight so we were refreshing them on stage.


Jed sings a couple of cover songs. This weekend is was "On The Road Again" and "Keep Your Hands To Yourself".


Saturday night I had the chopped kale salad (sorry Bill, I know you hate beets and kale and stuff) and the Steakburger. I didn't eat the bun, you know, cutting the carbs. With my meal I enjoyed my ever-present energy drink. I drink one of these only before a gig, not five or six a day like the people you hear about on the news.


Amanda looked really cute in her fringe jacket.


Arnie croons to the crowd while they line dance.


We got off a half hour early on Friday night and fifteen minutes early on Saturday night. That's OK. Two basses in cases and I'm outta here.


Oh drat! Big Betsy let me know that one of her tires was really low. So I pulled out my handy-dandy cigarette lighter compressor and pumped her up.


I made it home safely and now I'm running tunes for the show tonight at Spaghettini in Seal Beach. It's usually a jazz club but they've been having tributes in there too. This is the first country band they've had in the place. Wish me luck. Thanks for looking! Happy New Year everybody!


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff 

No comments:

Post a Comment