Thursday, January 2, 2020

Giracci Winery, 12/7/19

Greetings brothers and sisters,

The Giracci Winery is one of our regular event venues where Arnie has the "in" as far as being one of the event coordinators for all of their various functions there. This event was a Christmas dinner/dance for the Giracci Wine Club. It was still raining when I loaded up my gear and left the house on Saturday afternoon.


It was still raining when I arrived at the venue, off of Santiago Canyon Road.


It was muddy where we unloaded. We set up on that end of the barn just inside the door. At least we didn't have to track mud all over the floor.


After unloading I parked Big Betsy in the south forty. 


It looks like they were expecting between 100-150 people. Tickets were $90 and that included dinner, wine, and a live band. 


The front lobby area was decorated festively. 


A Christmas tree made from wine barrels. Why not? 


It looks like we're just about done with our setup dance. That PA really is overkill in this echo-y barn. We played very, very quietly and let the PA do the heavy lifting. I might not bring an amp at all next time since we're all using IEMs. 


We are just about ready to play our dinner set while the guests enjoy their meal and their wines. Hey look, John, Jason, and I are wearing the same Scully shirt with different colors. 


It's good to have Ms. Amanda back working with us. Amanda got a new hat while she was in Texas. Arnie asked her what color it was and she said, "Olive." I said, "Oh! Like 'Olive, the other reindeer?'" 


We are getting dangerously close to downbeat. Arnie tunes. Amanda jams her earbuds in. Claire checks her wiring. 


Jed makes last minute adjustments on the PA with his tablet. 


Then Jed walks out front for the first couple of songs in order to tweak the system. It's hard to play at the right volume in a room like this. 


I think the ladies are saying a quick little prayer for the hairy legged pickers. 


This was pretty much my view all night. We had to set up fairly tightly so I was in the back row practically behind the PA. 


Arnie Newman's Country Club Band plays a dinner set. "We keep it down so you can too." 


The crowd was enjoying their supper. The band will get to eat on the break. I haven't eaten all day. 


During the first set one of the owners figured the band would like some beer. This was a wine event so we had to keep the beer on the down-low. 


We played a good dinner set and then took a break so we could have supper. This buffet was excellent. The BBQ chicken was perfect. The brisket was tender and smokey. The sides were delicious. And the chili was terrific. I loaded up. 


I tried to taste most of my food as I ate quickly. The crowd was ready to party. 


But before we started the party set we wanted to take some band pictures in front of the Christmas wine barrels.


OK, here's a serious one with our hosts.



And now it's time to party! It's Saturday night and the band's gettin' tight, their voices unite in the pale moonlight, it sounds all right, it's dynamite, it's outta sight!


I guess it gets a little boring here in the back row.


But the crowd is having their fun.




During the party set more beer magically appeared! Wow! It's a Christmas miracle!


And desserts!


We played two long-ish sets and had a great time. We were done at 9pm. I love early gigs.


This is what Arnie's new gear hauler looks like when we load it up.


It starts to rain again as I take a parting shot of the gazebo on my way out. Except for the mud, this was a pretty good gig.



Thanks for coming along. I've got three events this week, three more next week, and then three shows over the New Years weekend leading up to New Year's Eve. The fun never stops. Thanks for putting up with me.


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment