Thursday, January 2, 2020

House of Blues, 12/18/19

Seasons Greetings friends and neighbors!

Last night the Country Club Band and I played a fun, frantic, seat-of-the-pants, cluster of a show at the House of Blues in Anaheim to benefit the local OC Fire Department's Spark of Love toy drive. These events are always a raucous festival of frivolity and everyone in the house and on stage has a blast. We backed over twenty local performers in a George Strait vs. Garth Brooks concert tribute.

When I left work I noticed the construction had resumed on the stadium across the street from my office. It had been held up by all the rain lately.


I arrived good and early at the venue. I knew this would be a tough load-in. It was even tougher this time compared to last time.


Last year we parked in the structure on the same level as the venue and just rolled right in either using the front door or the back hallway. Not this time. Here's a picture of the front door, which I didn't get to use today.


Instead we were directed to the loading dock underneath the building so we could use the elevator then navigate the labyrinth of catacombs deep in the bowels of the building.


At least we were able to stay parked in the "artist area" of the parking garage. I just rolled my stuff down after the show. We made our way to the stage to begin an extended setup dance. Arnie contemplates his place in the world.


I did not use that Fridge. I don't think it's been worked on and it sounded horrible last year. I used my own rig. I've found my place in the world, for tonight.


Our second guitar slinger, Mike, rolls in and can't help but be cool. He is an excellent player and singer. We've worked together several times.


It's a good sized room with a good sized stage. I think capacity is somewhere around 2200.


The courtyard was decorated in Holiday fashion.


Even though my new bass needs a little tweaking I couldn't help but bring it for my backup. I ended up playing it more than I thought I would. It just takes a really light touch since the action is so low.


The whole band is here now and the setup dance gets frantic. The stage crew was also in the midst of it wiring up everything and checking channel assignments.


John took a picture of me with my new bass on the House of Blues stage. Hey Mr. Kiesel! Where's my endorsement?


Claire and Shelly will be singing the background harmonies for all of the artists tonight. Claire joins me in a selfie.


Claire's husband Jed is doing the tech for the band tonight, wiring in the IEM rack to the house system with the house monitor guy John. The whole HoB crew here tonight was fantastic.


It looks like we are done with our setup dance and the channel assignments have been wrung out. We'll sound check in a minute or two.


Paul is still practicing with his tablet and headphones. He likes nailing his parts.


While the sound crew finishes up we retire to the green room for a little Holiday cheer. Mike gets his set list in order.


Claire and Shelly go over some last minute harmony parts.


I have played most of these songs but it's been years. I wrote up twenty seven Nashville Number charts so that I could nail the arrangements. A lot of the artists did not stick to the recordings so I had to try my best to keep the train on the rails.


During soundcheck we ran a few tunes with some of the artists who would be performing. This is Peyton. I love it when the ladies sing the guy songs in different keys. It gives them a whole new sound and feel. 


You might remember Kevin Click. We've done a few shows with him lately. He's singing for Team Garth tonight. 


This is the youngest performer tonight. Not Jed. Tim is only thirteen and did a really great job. I think his was the best performance of the evening. 


I think we're done with soundcheck. Arnie's pointing toward the green room. 


They fed us hamburgers and salad tonight. Sorry, no pictures. But I did say "Hi!" to Coral. She's our DJ and announcer this evening. We've worked with Coral several time, such a sweetheart. 


The calm before the storm. 


There are several green rooms off to stage left. I met up with Peyton, Christie, and Olivia. I told them I've already had two lessons and I've been practicing hard so I'll do a good job for them tonight. They were quite appreciative. 


Here's some more of the crew in Green Room A. The excitement is building. 


The hallway between the green rooms was a happening place. 


It looks like we're about to start the show. We delayed it a few minutes so the room could finish filling. 


No kids, that's not the real Santa. That's one of the DJs from the local country station, KFRG. He was good for some comedy relief. 


To start the show Olivia came out and sang the National Anthem. She did wonderfully. She'll be back later to sing a George Strait song. 


And away we go! Quick, let's do a selfie with the guitar players.


During the announcements I was able to take a few pictures of the band throughout the night. Here's Daniel. He looks like the devil went down to Georgia.


The room was just about packed, an enthusiastic crowd. 


The first set went great. Then I met up with Amanda in the green room. She's feeling well enough to sing a song tonight. I'll have video later. 


This was the show for tonight. We stuck pretty close to schedule. 


Although there was one last second key change, which the band did not realize until we started the song, and a song addition, which luckily I had learned well enough to get through. Whew!


As we wait to go on for the second set the KFRG DJs make some announcements. Here's a look at the monitor board.


Claire and I wait patiently.


Another DJ from KFRG, Pepper, is also here tonight. We've worked with Pepper several times at summer concerts.


We honor the local firemen who work so hard to keep us safe.


As an added bonus tonight, the young lady in the red jacket, Chenise, was proposed to. She said yes. Sorry, I didn't get a good picture of the groom.


This is Honey Country, a trio of lovely talented young women.


 Daniel Bonte is quite the entertainer. He is responsible for organizing this event. I'm surprised he and Arnie have any hair left. Arnie had the unenviable job of music director.


Amanda felt well enough to sing a George Strait song. She done good.


Jason likes playing in big rooms where he can hit hard.


John was quite at home on his riser in the back row.


This is the Morgan Leigh band. They have a lot of fun together.


Redneck Rodeo are four zany guys who really cut loose. Rusty used my rig and a long cord to get out front.


Let's give it up for the background singers, Claire and Shelly.


For the grand finale all the performers got on stage for a big singalong.




Backstage after the show I said "Hi" to our DJ friend Pepper.


Then it was time to earn my pay. Mike points at the bass player taking a picture.


I rolled my gear all the way down to the parking garage/loading dock area. One of the stage crew was being helpful and rolled the IEM rack down too. I had to wait for Arnie to drive down from the fourth level to pick it up.


But at least I got this fancy souvenir for my collection. It makes me feel special.


And that was our annual House of Blues California Christmas Show, the George vs. Garth edition. Next we're doing basically the same show in San Diego at Moonshine Beach.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to everyone. Be safe and share the love.


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff 

No comments:

Post a Comment