Thursday, January 2, 2020

Ranch Christmas Show, 12/11/19

Hello friends,

I've had four gigs and a rehearsal since my last post. Busy! I'll try to toss up a couple of gig reports while I'm having lunch at my desk. Last Wednesday The Country Club Band had a special Christmas show at The Ranch featuring Amanda Kate, Kevin Click, and Jed and Claire. About half of the material we had played before but the other half, mostly Christmas songs, we just did our homework and went on stage unrehearsed except what we could go through at soundcheck before doors. Amanda wasn't feeling well and has gotten sicker since. Despite the obstacles the show went very, very well. We had a good crowd and the owner was very, very happy.

My evening started with the obstacle course leaving my office. There's lots of construction going on around the new stadium across the street.



Amanda and Jed and Claire had their posters up, selling merch, etc. 


It was a good Wednesday night crowd. This place likes the band, loves Amanda, and tolerates the bass player. These were the dance lesson participants. 


Just before showtime the crowd had grown. 


I know. I have such a tough setup. I have to be sure I plug my bass into the right jack on the DI box.


Our lovely entertainment manager, Heather, announced the band. She looked smashing in her red dress. 


Then it was on with the show! Arnie sang the old Buck Owens' "Santa Looked A Lot Like Daddy". 


Claire sang "Rocking Around The Christmas Tree".



Jed and Claire wrote a Christmas song that I really like called "Simple Down Home Christmas". If you'd like to hear it, HERE is the Youtube link. 


Amanda looked great and sounded great even thought she was a bit under the weather. I hope she's feeling better soon. She missed all the gigs last weekend but we had Claire to fill in for her. 




Our featured artists sang both Christmas songs and a few of their originals. 


The crowd enjoyed dancing to our county-fied Christmas songs and originals. 


Kevin Click joined us to sing a few of his originals plus a few traditional Christmas songs like "Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire" and "Little Drummer Boy". 


Yes, it's a big band. 


I sang my big Christmas song, an Eagle-ish version of "Please Come Home For Christmas". 


The following day we had a rehearsal for the two big benefit shows we have this week. This is Mike. I've worked with Mike in The Smith band and he's subbed for Arnie once or twice. We're rehearsing in Arnie's studio. 


We had to rehearse late so to keep the volume down we used our IEMs. Most of us used these hard-wired units that Jed brought because they are easier to set up than the wireless for rehearsal purposes. 


Shelly and Claire, our background vocalists for the show, are in the control room singing their parts. 


Arnie points out something very interesting on his iPad. I think he's playing Space Invaders during rehearsal. 



It was a brutal rehearsal, five hours worth. But we ran the whole show, worked out keys, bumper music, transitions, etc. I still have some homework to do before Wednesday. I can't memorize all the material so I'm writing Nashville Number Charts. I've got six or seven more tunes to write up in the next two evenings. No problem, just like the record.

OK, let me see if I can get caught up before I get more behind-er. Thanks for looking!


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment