Thursday, January 2, 2020

The Ranch, 11/15-16/19

Greetings friends and neighbors,

Well, tonight's gig didn't suck. The commute started a little sucky because of the construction on my way to the freeway. Once I hit the freeway it was just "normal" traffic.


I think it was my friend Bill who wanted to see the band menu here at The Ranch. You may have a total of two items, one from column A and one from column B, or two from column A, but not two from column B. 


Tonight I went with my favorite, the Buffalo Chicken Sandwich but instead of a salad I had the Five Onion Soup. The warm broth felt good on my throat. I'd had a hacking cough all day and my throat was hammered. 


When I finished supper I checked to see if the line dance lessons were still going on. Yes, that's Dev on stage teaching the lesson. We can't be on the stage when the lessons are in session. 


As soon as the lessons are over we can plug in, tune up, and get ourselves ready to put on the show. 


I was ready to play but my cold had done a number on my throat. I could barely talk, let alone sing. I sang one song all night. I squeaked out a few harmonies. Generally I just smiled and played. 


My trusty LB76 and JBS. Nope, no amp for me. I just go DI with IEMs. 


Here's the gang tuning just before the stage lights come up. Jed's wife Claire joins us on stage tonight. Amanda is in Texas for a photo shoot and doing business regarding her album and stuff. I think she found someone who wants to invest in her career. 


John checks his patches. I didn't know he had holes. 


The lights come up and we put on the show. We played a lot of Jed and Claire originals tonight. They went over really well. Claire also did one of my old favorites, "I Got Better Things To Do" by Terri Clark. 


Bam Bam doesn't look happy for some reason. I think the boss is here and he knows he can't play as loudly as he'd like to. 


Arnie's got the line dancers going with a long guitar intro. 


On a break I ask the bartender for a shot of Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey. It feels good on my throat. Dr. Melanie also stops by to cheer me on. She's a sweetheart. 


Then we're back on stage for the last set. Arnie is feeling pretty happy so he turns around and asks Johnny Magic Fingers to play his banjo on this next tune.


John is more than happy to wail away on his banjo patch. It actually sounds really good. 


Randy is starting to look bored. Arnie had better throw him a solo soon. 


Of course, right at the end of the night Mikelle and her friends come up to request a song by Dan and Shay. Arnie asked her, "Do you see any skinny jeans on stage?" But it was Mikelle's birthday so we sang "Happy Birthday" to her in our bluegrass kind of way. The young ladies loved it. 


Just for grins and giggles, this is the chart for one of Jed's originals. This is what the Nashville guys used in the studio to record this song. Yes, this is a real Nashville Number chart, from Nashville, with numbers.


I'm still reading these charts since I haven't memorized Jed and Clair's tunes yet. Once we play them a few more times I think I'll have them. I'd rather not use charts on stage but you gotta do what you gotta do.

That was pretty much our Friday night. We'll be back again Saturday night. I'll have a few more pictures for you.

I was feeling a little better Saturday night and was able to sing four or five songs. When I arrived that evening Shelly was teaching the two-step lesson with Melanie as her partner.
 

For my evening repast I ordered up the chicken tenders and fried pickles. I guess I was in a greasy mood. 


In the green room Arnie is a-pickin'!


And Johnny is a-nappin'!


In addition to Jed and Claire also fighting throat issues, my wireless IEM pack kept going on the blink. Jed swapped a channel on the rack and gave me another pack. Mark, our soundguy, also spun up on of the house's IEMs with my old mix in it. I ended up using the house IEM all night. 


It was a good crowd on a Saturday night. 


Johnny digs into his boogie-woogie number. 


Claire gives me a wave as Arnie points at his favorite piano player on stage. 


Claire had fun sitting in with the band this weekend. She's usually singing harmonies, which she's good at, but she's also a singer/songwriter. We did at least four original Jed/Claire songs tonight. Claire sang a few covers too. 


I think Jed is pointing at the bass player. 


During a long guitar intro I stepped out front a bit to take some more pictures. 


It looks like Jed is singing and trying to dial up the lyrics on his iPad. 


Everybody do the electric slide! 


Jed is singing "Keep Your Hands To Yourself". 


At the end of the night I unplug two basses, put them in cases, and load them into the truck. I wasn't feeling well so I made a hasty getaway. 


The DJ keeps the stragglers on the dance floor while the lonely soundman strikes the stage. 


There were at least five birthdays in the house on Saturday night. The band even got cake. Drat. I forgot the picture. Thanks for looking!





Before I sign off on this blog post, let me share a bit of video from the weekend. Here is Jed and Claire's song "We Got A Good Thing Going".





Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff 

No comments:

Post a Comment