Thursday, January 2, 2020

Moonshine Beach, 12/19/19

Hello friends and neighbors,

Last night we played another California Country Christmas show at Moonshine Beach in San Diego. Most of the performers and material from the previous night's House of Blues gig were back to help benefit the toy drive.

Since I drove down from work it was more convenient to take the 5 south instead of the 15. That way I could oogle the deactivated nuclear reactor at San Onofre and enjoy the ocean on the way.



We had a 4:30 load-in time but I arrived a little after 3:30. Johnny Magic Fingers had called me and wanted me to meet him at a little pub around the corner while we waited for doors to open. I drove around and told Johnny that the pub's not here, the street's not here, I can't find you. Well, it turned out that Johnny had gone to Moonshine Flats instead of Moonshine Beach. Oops. Our second guitar player, Mike, did the same thing. 


Even thought I was early I was able to load-in. This place has a funky industrial casual vibe to it. I really dig it. I went in the EXIT ONLY door. Don't tell anyone. 


Here's the view from the light board. The FOH booth is right in front of the light booth. 


There were a couple of pretty nice green rooms in the venue. This one was downstairs. 


This one was upstairs. They both had big screen TV, restroom, shower, etc. 


In addition to the cases of water we were provided with a small fridge full of beer (Michelob Ultra and Bud Light Platinum, if you call that beer) and food. I'll get to that later. Here's Jed starting his monitor guy and stage tech job. 


John made it over from Moonshine Flats and I helped him load in. 


These are the steps from the green room up to the stage. You see the wall on the right where everyone signs their name. 


Of course I had to let everyone know that I was there.


Here's the poster with the entertainment. 


More of the band arrives and the setup dance starts in earnest. That's Joel, the tall, dark, handsome guy with the mullet, pulling double duty as stage tech and FOH sound guy. 


I used the backline so I didn't have much to do besides talk to one of my biggest fans and show off my latest "all access" pass, another to add to my collection. 


We've got twin pedal steel tonight. Randy will be playing the steel parts when Paul is playing his fiddle. Mike sets up his pedal board. Claire and Shelly dial in their IEMs. 


Here's my gear shot. This rig sounded great. 


Before downbeat we all retired to the green room for some flatbread and sliders. 




After a little bit of supper I wandered out front for a cold one and to check out the crowd. All of the bars in this place were constructed out of shipping containers, industrial cool. 


A couple dances to the DJ in front of the stage while Randy checks his tuning. 


We are getting exceedingly close to downbeat. Mike is punching up some lyrics on his tablet as I take the stage.


This is the view from my mic just before we start. The crowd here is not as big as last night but they were just as enthusiastic.


First up is Peyton Howie. Let's get this party started!


It looks like Jason is getting dialed in. If he's not playing tracks he's usually using a click anyway.


Go Peyton! Go! I like it when the ladies sing the guy songs. It's fun when the women sing about riding bulls and drinking whiskey.


Ha! Mike geeks the camera when he sees me snapping pictures.


Like I said earlier, the crowd wasn't as big but they were just as enthusiastic.


This trio is know as The Joy Reunion. They harmonized well together. They sang "That Summer" and Gentry sang the second verse. Very cute.


The cute and bubbly Christie Huff wore her flapper dress tonight and sang "Amarillo By Morning".


Daniel Bonte also sang and was the organizer and emcee of this benefit show.


There goes Mike, geeking the camera again.


I decided to geek my own camera while Daniel was making announcements.


Melissa Farrior was up next and shared the fun with us.


Now it's break time so I had a moment to snap a picture of Melissa with Arnie.


The crowd is having fun and sticking around. Cool!


Twin steels. It's a wonder the stage didn't tilt to that side.


All of the acts are in the green rooms on the break, eating, drinking, enjoying each others' company. We don't often get to do this because we are all working our own projects. This is special.


Perhaps you noticed these cymbal shields on the drum riser. At one point during the performance Mike went over and kissed one of them. Jason likes to hit his cymbals hard.


Our twin steels are getting ready to play on the next performer. I think that's Scotty Mac.


There's Mike again clowning around with the background vocalists, Claire and Shelly. Daniel is telling folks about the raffle and prizes.


Arnie kicks off a bumper tune in between acts. 


The lovely and talented Morgan Leigh gets up with a couple of her bandmates to sing "Calling Baton Rouge". 


Here's a view of those cymbal shields from the back side. Mike has his lip prints on the right one. 


I'm sorry I can't remember this guy's name but I loved his jacket. 


Then the whole crew got on stage for a couple of big finale numbers. The whole place sang along to "Friends In Low Places". 



Morgan was kind enough to take a selfie with this old country bass player. 


We had a blast! Now everyone say goodnight! 


Now to make like a roadie before we drive two hours home. 


Daniel and I get a picture in front of the Christmas tree before I have to take my extension cord and outlet strip which are powering all the lights on the tree and background. 


I played my new PB5 bass just on a couple of songs tonight. I'll try to get it set up next week. Then look out! I'll be a five string fool. It's actually a little bit tough going back to a 5-string. I use that high C string quite often on my LB76. I guess I'll just have to learn to keep it in the "money zone". ;)

Thanks for looking everybody! I've got four more gigs this year. Until then I wish you all a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a Blessed New Year. Share the love.


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
 

No comments:

Post a Comment