Sunday, February 12, 2017

True Willie at Rancho Las Palmas Resort 11/08/16

Hello friends,

Yes, I had a gig on election night. I was happy to be away from the polls, pundits, talking heads, and as Merle says, "that cackle-babble head in a box".

I had a ton of fun playing with a Willie Nelson tribute band, True Willie, at the Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort and Spa in the Palm Springs area. We played for a CALCIMA event.

After voting I stopped by my favorite doughnut shop on the way out of town to get some nourishment, an apple fritter and large cup of joe.


It was a very pleasant drive out to the desert, not a lot of traffic.


I arrived at the resort and parked right up front with the Audis, Escalades, and Mercedes, so I could unload. My old van doesn't look out of place, does it?


And my gear doesn't look out of place in the lobby either.


The banquet and awards are being held on the third floor, the "Starlight Terrace". The sound company was well on their way to being set up.


 Here's "Willie" putting his ears in as we get ready to start thinking about sound checking sometime soon.


I get my gear in place. I used the Fender all night and brought the Carvin as backup.


This is Rob getting things squared away. He and Chris were great to work with. It seems Roger (True Willie) uses Rob quite a bit for his shows.


Roger was the only one on stage who was using in-ears. We weren't loud at all and I could hear everything just fine. We each had our own mix.

After setting up my rig, plugging in, and making sure it made noise, I went back downstairs to stow my gear in our green room. The ballrooms were all up and down these hallways where the event breakout sessions were being held.


Here is one such session.


We used this smaller room for our green room.


It actually wasn't so small.


Mike, the guitar player, and I make ourselves at home for a bit.


After we stow our gear we head back upstairs for our sound check. John arrives and sets up his keys. You might remember John from the Arnie Newmand Band.


The drummer isn't here yet but "Willie" starts dialing in his IEMs.


How about a sound check amp-selfie?


Yay! The drummer, Dave, is here! Chris, the other sound guy, got him wired up. Mike is playing a nice tobacco 335. Dave's kit is a Mapex. It sounded really terrific.


We finish sound checking just as the sun dips behind the mountains.


Here's another shot of the stage as it gets darker.


A close-up detail with the logo on the kick drum, and "Trigger". 


Here's a shot from the FOH as the staff sets up for the guests' supper.


Here's Rob, running sound and playing the house music.


It looks like the Starlight Terrace is all ready for its guests.


For supper, the band and sound crew get to order off of the room service menu. Roger/Willie phones it in.


The merry band pauses for a moment while I document the repast.


Then it's every man for himself!



John had the steak. Mike had the salmon. Chris had chicken. Rob had wings and cobb salad. Dave had a salad with chicken. I had the pork chop and vegetables. This pork chop was more than and inch thick. Wow!


And for dessert I had the "Chocolate Indulgence". It was almost "death by chocolate". A chocolate brownie cake with chocolate mousse and chocolate sauce. MMMmmmm!


We had a lot of down time as the guests had their supper, made speeches, gave out awards, etc. Finally we headed upstairs to put on the show.


I gave my camera to Chris who was kind enough to take a few pictures during the show.


Roger does a quite convincing "Willie", telling stories and jokes about Willie and his adventures on the bus.


I think the bass player is having fun playing some good old country music.


Dave had the short sleeve version of one of my shirts.


Willie regales us with one of his amusing anecdotes.


I snapped this one from stage with my phone. The likeness is uncanny.


The lady on the left is Stephanie, our hostess. She is a staunch Willie fan and was very impressed, thankful to have us, and very complimentary. She treated us to a shot and a beer after the show.


There's that bass player again, having fun.


I think Willie is having fun too.


It was a ninety minute show and then we were done.


We cleared the stage, I headed back downstairs to get my cases and roller cart. We left a bit of a mess but Stephanie is paying for our supper and tipping the staff.


Then I drove home the 90+ miles to find out that the world hadn't blown up. It was a fun, pleasant evening and I'm sure I'll be doing more gigs with this band. They loved my quarter notes. Thanks for looking!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff


No comments:

Post a Comment