Monday, February 13, 2017

Big Horn Golf Club, 1/27/17

Hello friends and neighbors!

The KRB and I played two private parties this particular weekend. Friday night was in Palm Springs and Saturday was in Laguna Niguel. That made for a lot of driving but I'm not complaining. It was a pleasant day to drive out to the desert. The mountains were lovely and the landscape was a verdant green, instead of its normal brown, from all the recent rain and snow.


There was more traffic than I had counted on but since I always leave a little wiggle room for driving time I arrived just a couple minutes after the scheduled load-in time. We played across the street from the clubhouse where we normally play at this golf club. The event was held at the steakhouse because the old clubhouse has been torn down to build an entirely new one.


This was a cool looking building in sort of a modern Southwest style.


It was a lovely, intimate supper room but it wasn't really set up for live music.


There was no stage or dance floor. We set up our gear on one side of the room under this archway. It was a little inconvenient because the serving staff had to walk through the band to get wine, linens, etc, while we were playing. We made a path and made do.


 Just behind the band was our green room where we stored our stuff and had our supper.


I think these guys are laughing at the bass player.

Jack ran sound and light for us tonight. We used all our small gear because the room was so intimate.


Mario brought a very small kit and I used my Carvin 210 cab. 


Kick, snare, floor tom, hi-hat, and one cymbal. That's all Mario needed.


Oh! That's why Art and Daniel were laughing at the bass player. Hal seems unconcerned. I'm glad Kelly got there in time to throw my bail before the gig started.


We got to have our supper before we played. The servers got us all set up in our green room.


This was the view from our room as we dined.


 For our entre we had a grilled half chicken with veggies and mashed potatoes. This chicken was not rubber.
 

We started with a really nice salad, and a selection of cookies for dessert.


Here's the "stage" as we get ready to play our dinner set.


 On our break we take a moment for a glam shot.


We played a mellow set while our patrons drank, socialized, talked about their golf scores, and had their own buffet.


During our dance set, Jack took a couple of pictures from behind, where he had set up the mixer.


I said, "Kelly, look!" But she didn't. 


We were just a high paid human jukebox. But I'm not complaining.


I managed to take an action shot from the stage with my phone.


We had a few dancers towards the end of the night, after they had gotten a little lubricated. Sorry for the lousy phone picture.


There wasn't much room to dance but they had their fun. They even sang along to "Sweet Caroline", one of my big hits.

We were scheduled from 6-10pm but at 9:00 we were told to pack it in. Nobody complained. (I don't complain much, do I?)  


I was loaded out, even helped with the PA, and was on the road to home at 10pm. It was a pretty cushy gig except for the 90 mile drive to and from the club. But our benefactors made it worth our while and it was actually kind of fun playing quietly.

I'll be back with my Saturday gig, a backyard wedding reception in Laguna Niguel, well, more like Laguna Hills because it wasn't that close to the beach. Thanks for looking!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment