Thursday, November 1, 2018

Day Family Classic Car Museum, 10/28/18

Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen,

It was a busy week for me and the ANB. After a paid rehearsal on Tuesday, Downtown Disney on Wednesday, The Ranch on Friday and Saturday, we finished the week playing for a fundraiser at the Day Family Classic Car Museum to benefit the family's foundation, Tommy's Angels. Tom Day was killed in Las Vegas at the Route 91 tragedy and the family honors him by raising money to benefit children's cancer research and other causes. Here's their website and this is their Facebook page.


I had a nice commute to Corona until I actually got to the 91 in Corona. With fourteen lanes of freeway it still earns its reputation for the name "Slow-rona".


The Day Museum is a nice two story structure in the middle of the Auto Center in Corona.


Since the party was on the second floor we must drive up this ramp and unload upstairs. It was pretty handy.


My trusty Astro van is so full because I had to take all of John's keyboard gear when we left The Ranch last night. He had a family engagement and would arrive later. I unloaded all of his gear and my gear.


As I rolled up to the stage I was greeted by Arnie's Big Boy.


Arnie did help me with some of John's stuff. Then we went downstairs for some refreshment.


I snapped a selfie in front of the memorabilia on the wall while we waited for the elevator.


Here's my little corner of the stage. This set was purchased from the TV show, The Voice. The 50s diner scene fit in well with all the classic cars.


Here's the scene from my mic as we set up and sound check. I'll share a few car pictures later after I post all the gig pictures.


The tables with black tablecloths are the VIP seating. They sold for $2500 a table. All the other seats were $100 each. The VIP tables got some special S.W.A.G.


Do we look alike?


In this corner is a replica of Angel Stadium. Tom Day was a big Angels fan. The artist is just finishing it up before the party starts.


The Day family collects other things besides classic cars. Here's some baseball collectibles.


This is Daniel from MxxMaster sound. We've worked with Daniel before. He works hard for his money.


This is a fun stage, a little tight, but it looks great.


The lovely Ms. Amanda Kate joins me in a selfie after we were done with soundcheck.


The hairy legged boys club is on the hunt for beer.


Oh hey! I didn't find beer but I found dessert! We'll come back to this later.


The band gathered at the loading ramp so our videographer could take some footage with his drone camera. Some of his work might be on the Day Family's Facebook page pretty soon.


This was our BBQ chef for the evening. He was slicing up tri-tip and chicken for our supper just a little later.


The guests are arriving and enjoying some beverages.


These good looking young folks kept the band in beer all night long.


The VIP tables were the first to hit the buffet. Then it was time for the musicians to get in line.


It was worth the wait. The beef and chicken were perfect. I also had a dab of the excellent mac-n-cheese and lots of salad.


Then the Day family took the stage to welcome and thank everyone. Diane Day was an excellent hostess and made sure everyone, including the band, got everything they needed.


It was a sold out crowd, lively and generous.


The magician/mentalist performed downstairs. This is Cheryl, the first comedian to take the stage. She had a lot of racy "mom" jokes.


The next comedian was Willie, who got into religion and politics and realized he was losing the crowd. He quickly got back into his relationship material, which was pretty funny.


The band was waiting off stage, chomping at the bit to play for these nice folks.


Then Willie introduced us and we hit it hard. These folks wanted to party!


We're here for the party, and we ain't leaving til they throw us out.


The World Series game was on in the background but there actually weren't too many people paying too close attention to the game.


We had dancers all night long. The dance area was at stage left.


We played one long set until they shut us down. Here was our set list. We didn't have time for everything so we stuck with the party songs.


Right after the show the family and board members wanted to take a picture with the band.


Then we heard there were bacon-wrapped hot dogs downstairs. So we munched on a couple while we were tearing down.


I covered mine with grilled onions and mustard. It was terrific.


Then as we were loading up, somebody found the switch to turn on the stage lights. It looks pretty cool.


Johnny and I packed all of our gear into my trusty Astro van so I could drop him off on the way home. He lives right around the corner from me.


It was a busy week with five dates in six days. This week I have nothing until Saturday so I'm going to spend some time on the couch watching TV with my family. I'll finish up with a few pictures of classic cars and stuff. Thanks for looking!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff















 

No comments:

Post a Comment