Thursday, November 1, 2018

Bass Hang, 10/21/18

Hi guys,

I know this is not a gig post but my friend Charles and I recently attended an event known as a "Bass Hang" where area bass players get together to talk about amps, preamps, pedals, stings, basses, techniques, gigging, and all things bass related.

It was held at Tsunami Cables in Murietta CA.

http://www.tsunamicables.com/

This is our host, Keith Stickney.


It was a real pleasure meeting some of the movers and shakers in the industry. Tony Puelo and Jon Moody were informative and entertaining, great, talented players. Chance Onody was absolutely amazing with his looper and octave pedals. Keith Stickney was a gracious host and gave away oodles of door prizes. Even this old country bass player won some stuff. I'm pretty anonymous and invisible when I attend events like this. I was very surprised and a little flattered when I heard someone call my name. Steve Araujo recognized me from the KRB because he'd also worked with Kelly in the past. We chatted for a bit about gigs and mutual friends. Steve also knows Alex, the bassist who took my place in the KRB. Steve even let me play a couple of his basses. It was a really cool way to spend a Sunday afternoon and rub elbows with some great players.

There was some really cool gear parked in the hallway when we arrived, a few Schroeder cabs, a couple of EICH amps, along with a Wilkens PJ5 bass.


Here's a view of Pete Hilton's offerings. The dark one belongs to Jon Moody (Notice the bow tie on the headstock?) and the other was being shipped to a client in Japan.
 

Chase sounded like a one man band. I don't mind not being able to play like him. I just wish I had his hair.


Steve and Tony were a crack up during their "2 Dudes 1 Bass" segments. They were totally unrehearsed, just having fun. Nice work. 


Jon is so thoughtful and contemplative with his music. He played a few of his impressive tunes from his CDs. 

 
Many thanks to my good friend Charles for telling me about this event. I would've missed it. Now let me get back to telling you about my gigs.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff 

No comments:

Post a Comment