Thursday, August 22, 2019

The Ranch (Private Event), 8/6/19

Greetings and Salutations,

Last night was a sleepy corporate event at The Ranch for us in the ANCCB (Arnie Newman's Country Club Band). A company known as DCNdx bought out The Ranch for their private party. I'm not exactly sure what they do but it seems they manufacture diagnostic and testing equipment for medical and other industries, something about "lateral flow".

I was able to leave work a couple hours early to make it to soundcheck on time. Big Betsy said it was 109°(F) as I left my parking lot across the street from the new stadium. My truck tends to read a little hot when she's been sitting in the sun for a while. It cooled off to 101° as I made my way to the freeway into the OC. I'm glad we're playing indoors tonight.


I dropped off my two basses and helped Johnny get his keyboard gear on stage. The drums are backlined. I go direct with IEMs. Arnie likes using his Little Walter rig. Steel Randy is also on the gig tonight.


This is the FOH array on my side of the stage. Yes, it's a bit overkill for this size room but it's impressive just the same. Mark, the soundguy, tells me he barely uses 15% of what this system could do.


On all the screens there was a slide show of company logos.


Alyson is the new event coordinator here at The Ranch. She showed up during soundcheck to give us the necessary itinerary details for the evening. Of course they changed later but that's par for the course at these things.


Johnny Magic Fingers shows me his good side, I think.


The party starts and everyone congregates around the bar. There would eventually be about 250 employees and associates here tonight. They were being bussed from the hotel.


It was a real country theme with hats for everyone and Shelly taught a couple of line dances.


Here's another company logo while Shelly teaches.


Since we didn't get fed at this event John and I went down the street to El Pollo Loco. The guests dined on Buffalo Chicken and Pulled Pork Sliders, chicken fingers, butternut squash ravioli, etc.




Even though we didn't get to partake, I always like to include the food shots. But we didn't even get drink tickets tonight. No beer! Yeegads!

During a long into I take a few pictures. John uses his magic fingers.


Arnie strums, Jason beats, Randy slides, Amanda sings.






We played only two sets with the line dance lessons in between. We closed with "Sweet Caroline" and "You Shook Me All Night Long". The crowd finally livened up just a little.


We had to wait a few minutes before striking the stage. I stepped next door to the Extron lobby to snap a selfie. (The Ranch is on the bottom floor of the Extron corporate offices.)


Then I came back in time to help Johnny load his gear. I put two basses in the back of my truck then helped Johnny with his little bit of gear.


You see four keyboards, two double stands, two powered speakers (to run stereo), a mixer, a sound module, and a gig case for all the cables. I told Johnny he could do a fine job with just two keyboards and one amp but he said he wouldn't be happy. I'm happy to schlep as little as possible to the gig.

Here's a band selfie Amanda took just before we started having moderate amounts of fun. These corporate events are sometimes a little sleepy. But we had a good time.


I've got three more gigs in the coming week, an outdoor park concert Thursday evening in La Mirada, a Carrie Underwood tribute show in the high desert (Hisperia Hot August Nights, operative word is HOT!) on Friday, then another outdoor concert event at the Santa Rosa Plateau with True Willie on Saturday while the rest of the band is at Knott's Berry Farm. I think I need a break. I'll have only one paid rehearsal and two shows next week at The Ranch. At least I won't have to schlep any gear, unless I feel like helping John again.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment