Friday, August 23, 2019

Santa Rosa Plateau, 8/10/19 with True Willie

Howdy friends and neighbors,

Last night I played my fourth gig this week. Johnny Magic Fingers I joined the True Willie Band to play an annual event at the Santa Rosa Plateau Ecological Reserve, a combination concert and art show series.

Due to a major freeway closure on the weekends until Thanksgiving, major construction, a traffic accident, and a stalled big rig, all on the 15, my commute to the gig was miserable. John and I kept each other company on the phone as we crawled south into the Temecula area. He was about fifteen minutes ahead.


I finally made it to my off ramp and headed up into the hills toward the reserve. There are a lot of ranch homes in the area on big lots. Plus the housing keeps creeping up from the freeway. I hope the reserve can stay a reserve.


There was no reserved band parking, drat. It was only for VIPs. John had pulled up as closely as he could to unload and then got blocked in. I just parked in the lot not too far away and rolled in. It's a little tough over the gravel. I needed a workout today.


This is the third year I've played this event with True Willie. I knew to follow the dirt path around the back of the office/gallery to the stage area under a square gazebo-type structure.


There were large tents for the audience but about half were uncovered. The wind was breezy and the sun was setting behind the uncovered audience members when we started at 6:30pm. The sound company for the event, Heyday Production were a bunch of nice, hard working folks with good gear. Travis, our FOH guy, is helping TW with his mic clip. That Jeff in the beard doing the monitors on the tablet.


Guitar Mike seems to be leaning at the same angle of his amp. Maybe he needs a stand too. Mike brought his vintage 335 but his backup Roland amp because of the dusty conditions out here.


Drummer Dave is ready to sound check. His wife was here this evening selling the merch for us.


And the winner for the most gear on stage is Johnny Magic Fingers. He's won this prestigious award for every gig.


The FOH speakers were Line6 subs and arrays. I hope they sounded good. Under that gazebo we were struggling. I asked Travis to cut out everything under 60Hz. I shouldn't have to do that. The FOH speakers are usually a little more out in front of the band. This is the first time this company has worked this concert series.


Here's my customary view from the sound board, a nice little QSC TouchMix 30.


While I'm here I have a selfie with the sound crew. Next to me is Julia, our stage manager for today. She was great and treated this old country bass player just like she would her grandfather.


We're all sound checked and the stage is set. Now it's time for a bite and a drink.


I ran into my old friend Andrea. She's been working this event every time I've been here. She knows I like the dark beer. She suggested mixing the Garage Brewery Marshmallow Milk Stout with the Chocolate and Peanut Butter stout for a taste sensation. It was pretty great.


Then the band headed to the conference room for a little supper. We had catered sandwiches. I chose the vegetarian selection with humus, avocado, tomato, greens, and other goodness. In addition to the oatmeal raisin cooking, a dear lady named Kay made the band homemade cinnamon rolls, again for the fifth year in a row. I thanked her personally.


In addition to the concert, there was an art exhibit going on at the facility. This bird thing caught my eye.


After supper we got into our cowboy clothes and started making our way to the stage. The event was sold out and we had a great crowd.


We snuck onto the stage while our hosts were finishing up their announcements.


Guitar Mike is ready. So are Sean and Julia, our young stage crew. 


Drummer Dave is looking a little insecure. Strange. He's played this gig before and should be comfortable. I'm glad he has his blankie.


John is too busy getting his sounds to look up. I won't bother him. He's like a mad scientist when he gets going.


T-Willie put on a good show and tonight pulled out all of his humor that I like.


"I've been so miserable since you left me it's just like having you here."


Johnny got to play his big boogie-woogie number again tonight. He really tears it up.


"How can I miss you if you won't go away?"

"If I'd'a shot you when I wanted to I'd'a been out by now."

"If I had a dollar for every time a woman found me unattractive, pretty soon I'd be attractive."


We were scheduled to play two one-hour sets but had to take a break a little early. Two songs before the end of the first set we lost power on the stage. So we broke early to let the stage crew figure it out. I took a little walk around the property back stage.


We found Andrea again. She treated us to another round. I like this gal.


During our half hour break the directors gave away prizes and raffles. Then we made our way back to the stage to wish a few folks a happy birthday.


We thought the power situation was corrected but it wasn't. It kept going up and down the whole second set. It was a bit frustrating. We'd play along until John and I lost power. The crew would get us going again only to have the guitar amp and monitors go out a few minutes later. We muscled through and the crowd enjoyed our semi-acoustic set.


The drums never lost power.


We played our entire show, power problems and all, then called it a night. Everyone had a good time but we were a bit disappointed not being able to give them our best.


I gave Johnny a little help with his gear and then scooted home as quickly as I could. I had to play in church on Sunday morning at 7am. I made it, bright eyed and bushy tailed.

Thanks for coming along. My next gig is our Ranch weekend with Arnie and another mid-week gig at the Laguna Festival of Arts with True Willie. It's a busy week with a paid rehearsal and three shows. Yay me. (I think I need a nap.)


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff 

No comments:

Post a Comment