Thursday, August 22, 2019

Seal Beach, 7/31/19

Hi again!

This was my second gig in two days just after returning from vacation. The ANB and I played for the Summer Concert Series at Eisenhower Park, right at the pier in Seal Beach. As I mentioned at the top of yesterday's gig, summer is here. It was 100ยบ when I left the office to make my way down to the beach, where it would be over twenty degrees cooler. Yes!


This trip took me over a freeway that I don't often travel, "the 22", or the Garden Grove Freeway. It was still early in the afternoon, just before rush hour, so I was able to make the call time without difficulty. 


I just headed toward the ocean and turned right when my tires got wet. Arnie had pulled in just ahead of me. Jason and Johnny were not too far behind. 


I rolled my stuff to the stage, there behind the tents, and came back to help Johnny. 


It was a pretty big sound system. There were satellite speakers to cover the audience in the farther reaches of the park and on the other side of the pier. 


It was not a large stage, 12'x16', so I was wondering how we were going to fit. At least we're a five piece today, no steel or fiddle. You can see the refurbished pier behind the stage. 


The monitors up front were set on some portable work tables. I have a couple of those to set up my PA. That bought us some room on stage. Still, with all of Johnny and Jason's gear I waited until those two were settled to place my rig. 


Last time I played this park we were able to park on the street out front. This time we had to park in the lot right behind the stage. Close enough, I guess. Big Betsy doesn't mind getting a little sun at the beach. 


The sound crew was young but they knew their beans. Mario hooks up to the back of my amp. I decided to put my rig right by my monitor. There was no room in the back row with Johnny and Jason. I stuck a 2x4 under the front of the cab to point it up at me a bit. It worked out fine, didn't have to play very loud, but still had to use an ear plug on Jason's side. 


Johnny Magic Fingers is enjoying his soundcheck at the beach. It was a beautiful day, very breezy, comfortable temps, and nice scenery. 


My friends, meet Royce who is sitting in for Amanda today. Believe me, she is highly qualified and very cute. She did a great job today. 


Here is Chris out front for our soundcheck and monitor mix. He made pretty quick work of it. I could hear everything just fine, especially after I put an earplug in my right ear. 


I like this lady. She asked Chris to turn up my vocals in her monitor. We'll be singing "Shallow" later. Royce and I sang it like we've been doing it together for years. She's a natural. 


This is the director, Kori, with some announcements before we start. The crowd started off big and got bigger. 


I told Royce that this is our traditional "Beauty and the Beast, and the Bass Player" picture that we always take before downbeat. She was happy to join in.


It was a happy, lively, appreciative crowd. They danced, clapped, sang along, and generally had a great time with us. You see Miss Teen Seal Beach and her court selling raffle tickets while they're dancing. 


You see the crowd extends way beyond that tree on the right. Under that tree was a satellite speaker to cover that area. 


There was a white van parked on the street with a couple of cameras on top. I don't know what that was about. I'll try to find if there is a local cable access station or website that might have this concert available. 


While we took a break I thought I'd show you how tight we were set up on stage. The stage was a bit wobbly. I couldn't do any acrobatics but Royce and I worked out a couple of fun moves on the fly. 


I don't know if you can tell but there were several hundred more people there on the other side of the pier. There were satellite speakers over there so they could hear all the fun. 


The lady getting kissed is Debbie, the birthday girl, having fun along with the rest of us, maybe a little more. 


It started to cool off even more as the sun set. Royce put on her sparkly jacket. 


She sang some sassy girl songs and the crowd ate her up. 


My camera makes this picture look a little brighter than it is. Since there were no lights on stage we had to quit by sundown and do our roadie impersonations. 


Here's one last shot of the pier, the ocean, and the coastal lights of Belmont Shore and Long Beach just before I roll down to my truck to load my gear. We all had fun. 


Here's a little video of Cliff Cubic Zirconia doing our "closer". We ended up doing "Don't Stop Believing" for an encore since they asked so nicely. 


That was my gig and I'm sticking to it. Saturday (8/3/19) we are back at Knott's Berry Farm. I've got Friday and Sunday nights off so I just might go hear someone else play. I get so tired of hearing myself. :p I think my friend Gary and his Who tribute band are playing in a park nearby. That'll be fun.


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
 

No comments:

Post a Comment