Thursday, August 22, 2019

Knott's Berry Farm, 8/3/19

Hey gang,

We are winding down our "Knott's Summer Nights" here at the second happiest place on earth. The band has two more dates here but I won't be on one of them because of a TW gig. It kinda stinks because the band really hurts when Johnny and I are not there. But Arnie said he was going to take all the gigs and hire subs. He does not like to turn down a gig. As you may recall, I also missed last Saturday because I was visiting my grandkids in the midwest.

When I left my house this afternoon is was 101ยบ as I headed toward the freeway to get to the city of Buena Park where Knott's is located.



Because Magic Fingers Johnny brought his wife and a couple of grandkids to the park today, he stopped by my house in the morning so that I could load his gear into my truck and haul it down to Knott's. Here I am waiting for the tech crew to arrive to cart Johnny's two keyboards, two powered monitors, a mixer, stand, and gig case, along with my two basses, into the park.


As I made my way to our stage I noticed a train robber hopping aboard. Should I dial 911?


I always take a picture of this information board. I still can't remember our set times for this gig. We'll stop by to check out the Suffragettes later.


I hung out in the cool green room until it was time to set up the stage. I'm glad I only bring two basses to this gig. Oh, wait. Today I brought all of John's gear too. It's in the back room with my basses. I'll haul it all out here in a minute. In the meantime, Pablo and Juan get the backline in place and start wiring the stage.


I noticed an extra rack backstage tonight. This may be because of the PA equipment SNAFU we had the last time I played this gig.


Here's Juan getting Amanda's IEMs dialed in.


I had to snap a photo of Johnny Magic Legs while we were setting up and sound checking. I knew you'd get a kick out of it.


John thought about just putting on his boots and going for it. But then he thought again.

Amanda made some new friends after soundcheck. It's a good thing they didn't see Johnny Magic Legs.


OK, the backline is all set up. The stage is wired. We are sound checked. Nothing to do but wait in the cool green room until downbeat.


And here's one of the Drink sisters, Anita, to announce the band. Ivanna Drink is her sister. You've met her on a previous gig report.


Arnie kicks off a guitar intro. I snap a few since I have some downtime at the beginning of this song.


I'm so glad John put on some pants and boots.


Amanda sings one of her sassy girl songs. We did a lot of her Carrie Underwood tribute show tonight. The crowd really ate it up. She pretty much slays the CU tunes.


I think this picture is from the second set, while Arnie is singing the first verse to "Freight Train". The song has a long guitar intro.


On our second break I wander over to the big stage to see the Suffragettes. Hey I think I see the Drink sisters up there. Let's get a closer look.


Sure enough! It's Ivanna and Anita Drink dancing right up front. Ivanna blows me a kiss.


The Suffragettes sounded good tonight. This was a little different lineup. I think they have about twenty ladies who work in this band, depending on who's available.


Then I walk back over to our little stage. It's not much but it's our home here.


We played our last set. Then I helped John pack up his gear, loaded it onto the cart so the techs could haul it out to the pickup area. I ran across the street to get my truck. John took his family home. I'll drop off his gear tomorrow evening. On the way home I stopped to pick up some barley pop. I thought I'd try another Stone Brewery product, their Pale Ale.



I like this beer. It tastes great, has a bit of body but is still light, and finishes with a nice malt flavor with only 6% alcohol.

Next week is another busy week with four gigs, a private party at The Ranch, a concert in the park, a Carrie tribute show in the high desert, and a TW show on Saturday. The ANB will be at Knott's on Saturday without Johnny and I. I hope everything goes well. Thanks for looking at my little gig.


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
 

No comments:

Post a Comment