Friday, August 23, 2019

LaMirada, 8/8/19

Hey gang!

Good to see everyone out and about and making noise! Very cool.

Last night the ANCCB (Arnie Newman's Country Club Band) played one of our annual park concerts in La Mirada. I've been playing this park for years. I did a couple with the Kelly Rae Band and you might remember last year when we played for 20,000 attendees for the city's 4th of July celebration. It had cooled off to 88º but I had forgotten that this clamshell band trailer faced the sun for this gig. Ugh.


I was the first to arrive having put in for some time off work this afternoon. I walked out front and noticed the new sound system. I'm glad the subs were not under the stage but the arrays were kind of inconvenient being on the stage. We made it work. 


The new gear was dB Technologies, real good stuff. 


After I put my gear on stage Johnny Magic Fingers pulled up so I gave him a hand. 


Then I noticed this truck that looked a lot like mine pull up next to the stage after Jason had arrived. 


Turns out this was Arnie's loaner truck. His Ford was in the shop, again. He said he really likes this Dodge. 


Uh oh Johnny! The S.W.A.T. team is here for you!


This is Chris running FOH all alone out there in the park as we soundcheck. We had a good sound crew today, Johnny and Taylor were big helps. 


Arnie always needs 10% more in his monitor. 


Here's our gear. Jason is plugging in all of his tech. 


The lovely Ms. Amanda Kate gets her IEMs dialed in. I just used an earplug in my right ear, the drummer side. 


Here's Beauty and The Beast as we finish up soundcheck. 


"Yes, these clamshell trailer stages are wonderful" said nobody ever. 


The little bass player's room is clear on the other side of the tennis courts. Here's a view from that side of the park. It will fill up as the day cools off.


Here I am behind the stage with my loud cowboy shirt. Where's the band? 


Here they are! Our friend Tammi joins us too. Besides being a realtor she also works for the city and attends these events to make sure everything reflects nicely on La Mirada. 


Yes, this was our view for the first set. At least I remembered to bring sunglasses.


I guess it's not such a bad view after all. I could stand in the shadow of one of those palm trees on the other side of the park.


Jason wore a hat and sunglasses. He's cool.


Johnny works his magic. He charts all the tunes in his iPad. But only he can read his charts. I can't understand them.


"Let's go girls!" Amanda sings another sassy girl song. She's great at that kind of stuff.



We took a quick break so the city could make some announcements. I worked the crowd and visited with Tammi in between important phone calls.


We had a good crowd of line and other dancers, especially after the sun went down.


The crowd got very lively during the second set.


We played a couple of encores and called it a night. We loaded out and I was on my way home by 9pm. Pretty good for a school night.


Right now I'm shedding some Carrie Underwood tunes for our tribute show later in Hesperia, in the high desert near Victorville. The Accuweather website says it's supposed to be a cool 91º there at load-in. That's actually not nearly as hot as it could be. We'll see. Everyone remember to hydrate and stuff! Thanks for looking at my little gig. Break a leg!


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
 

No comments:

Post a Comment