Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Sendero at Rancho Mission Viejo, 8/19/17

Hey gang!


For this evening me and the KRB played again at the Sendero community development. We've played here several times, for the grand opening, and for several "phase" openings. It's a well-to-do neighborhood of McMansions in south Orange County.

This gig was their main summer concert for the entire community at the new Sendero Field. As I pulled in off Ortega Highway I was greeted with this sign.


I drove along the access road next to the field to park close to the stage. I guess I could have pulled onto the grass but I felt like schlepping my gear the last 50 feet or so.


We had a good sound crew from Mark Wood Entertainment working with us today. Here you see Ray and Mike (the crew) with Paul running FOH.


Here you see the standard Yamaha M7CL mixer, a venerable workhorse.


We were being powered by these two generators. We didn't have any problems but later you will see that there wasn't enough juice to power any lights for the stage. We basically played in the dark after the sun went down. Oh well.


Daniel arrives. He was smart and just pulled up to the back of the stage. Hal and Art did the same. Art had arrived first and Hal arrived just after me.


After I unloaded my gear I pulled around to the parking lot and walked into the front of the venue. This community festival was called "WestFest".


Art and I found our green room.


Hal and I take an amp-selfie for sound check.


My dear old friend Rick is playing drums tonight, subbing for Mario. Rick arrived a little late because he forgot his snare drum. He had to turn around a get it. His wife met him halfway. We still had plenty of time. Rick has subbed in several times. He'll be with us at The Ranch next Saturday night.


And now we sound check. Gimme some kick drum!


This is the back of Hal's head as he sound checks.


It looks like we're all done with sound check now. I think Kelly always looks great in blue jeans and a white top.


The stage is all set. Those JBL mains sounded great. They are active and powered by Crown amps.


Before we started we were treated to supper. Our buddy Johnathan, we've worked with him before and he loves us, bought our dinner. Johnathan works for Sendero and Splendid Events. This lovely young lady served us.


I had the pulled pork sandwich and cole slaw. It was pretty darn good after I sprinkled some spicy sauce on it.


There were plenty of activities around. You see a mechanical bull and bouncy houses for the kids.


Here's the beer and wine garden for the more mature kids.


The crowd is starting to show up and claim their spots. This is a large field. I'll bet somebody plays soccer on it.


Here's the view from my mic. We were facing the sun and the glare from the dance floor was brutal until the sun went behind that hill.


We must be just about to start because I took an amp-selfie with my cowboy shirt on.


Yes, Kelly starts the show. We already have dancers on the floor.


In order to get the party really started, Kelly gives the crowd a dance lesson. She teaches the Electric Slide.


At the end of our fist set Kelly's girls get up and sing a couple of songs.


We take a break and then get back to the party. We had lots of dancers all night long.


That's Art's girlfriend in the background wearing one of Art's shirts. It's almost fall here in So. Cal. and it got a little cool this evening.


Hal always does a great job, he's an excellent musician.


Kelly continues the show after sundown. We played until 9pm.


Rick did a great job tonight. I think he's finally getting used to the way we do things around here.


Our audience was having a blast!


Kids and adults alike were just on the floor having fun.


The coolest part of the evening was when the ice cream vendor, Sub Zero, brought over their tank of unused Nitrogen (used to make their instant ice cream) and sprayed it all over the dance floor. The fog was terrific. I was able to catch only just a glimpse of it as we finished a song.


Every gig must include a shot of Daniel performing "Devil Went Down To Georgia". It's always a crowd pleaser.


After a couple of encores, it was time to pack up and go.


But WOW! It was a mad house at the end of the event. All of the vendors had their trucks pulled onto the grounds before I could get my gear packed away.


I decided to roll my gear out to the parking lot. It wasn't a bad schlep. I was on my way home shortly after 9:30pm. I don't miss playing late night bars at all. Well, maybe a little.

Tomorrow (Sunday 8/20/17) the KRB has another summer concert in Banning. Then next week I have True Willie at Lagnua Festival of Arts and then I'm with the KRB at The Ranch. Still pretty busy! Thanks for looking!


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
 

No comments:

Post a Comment