Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Brea Fest 8/18/17

Hello friends and neighbors,

This was the third gig for me this week. I have two more to go. Wish me luck. At least I get to sleep in a little in the morning. Tonight me and the KRB played for the Brea Fest, a city celebration in Brea CA, its 100th anniversary as the city was founded in 1917.

The streets were blocked but I just told the security I was with the band so I could pull up to the stage an unload. I wasn't expecting such a large stage.


We played this festival last year but on the other stage, a smaller stage in front of the civic center. This location was on the street next to the civic buildings. They spared no wattage for our sound.


This is Devon of Trinity Sound Company running our sound today. We worked with Devon last year on this gig. He really does a great job.


After I said "Hi" to Devon I checked out the important stuff.


I took another selfie in front of the sign.


Jeremy was helping out on the stage crew. He was a hard-working asset to our endeavor.


The food vendors are getting set up on the street while we get set up on the stage.


It looks like we all kept our gear in our cars from last night and just brought the same equipment to this gig. Well actually, Art brought a little bigger amp, I suppose since we were outside in a larger area.


Plus we have Skip tonight instead of Hal on the keyboards. Skip always goes minimal. Here's a view of the stage once we all get our gear in place.


Look at that! We have our own sign! We should take a picture in front of it. But we have to soundcheck first. Art loves giving the rabbit ears to Daniel.


Skip tickles the ivory for the sound man.


Kelly joins me in a soundcheck selfie.


Mario is in a much better mood than he seems. I love playing with this guy.


Here's a picture of a couple of the "band wives". This is Art's girlfriend and Skip's wife. Mrs. BassCliff will be here a little later.


Here's the band picture next to the sign. Now we're all official and stuff.


And a close-up.


Here's the view from my mic as we are about to start. There are several thousand people in attendance.


Kelly gets the show started!


Daniel plays the second guitar, a MIM Fender Tele, when he's not playing fiddle.


On the first break I run into some old friends.


As Mrs. BassCliff and I wander around the festival we see The Fenians playing on the small stage, where we played last year. They are an excellent Irish band. 


The top of this facility is covered in solar panels. They probably don't have much of an electric bill. Thank the tax payers. 


Then it's time to get back to the stage. Kelly sings "My Church". You know the drill. Daniel plays the guitar intro while I snap photos. 


See? Mario knows the drill too. 


Kelly entertains the large crowd. 


Skip is not only playing keys but playing his trumpet too. What a multi-talented guy.


Here's a shot from behind Daniel and Art showing the crowd. 


Just before we start a set I take a picture of Kelly in front of the crowd. 


On a break Mrs. BassCliff and I forage for something to eat. 


We find some chicken won ton tacos and some BBQ beef sliders. Both are really good. 


Here's Skip with his horn as we start the last set. 


These are some serious fireworks that are going off as we finish our last set. It's the big finale. 


But first we have to take care of business and entertain all the good folks who came out to the event. 


As we play our last song the fireworks show begins. 




It's still going on after we finish our last song.




Then we have to pack up and get outta Brea.


I've got some other gig somewhere in some other town tomorrow. I'll tell you about it after I get home from it. I'd better check my email.

Thanks for looking!


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment