Thursday, June 10, 2021

Water Wheel, 4/9-10/21

Greetings ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, friends and neighbors, in-laws and outlaws,
 

This weekend The Country Club Band (a.k.a. Arnie Newman Band, a.k.a. Hairy Legged Pickers) worked at The Water Wheel Saloon in Horsetown USA (Norco), both Friday and Saturday nights. You often see the citizens of Norco riding their horses down the main drag. I suppose that's why the speed limit is 35mph, strictly enforced. It's amazing, and very courteous, that everyone drives the speed limit. There are lots of good ol' folks in this town. 


It's been at least a couple of years since we've played this room but I remembered to pull around to the back door to unload by the pool tables.


I used my handy dandy rock-n-roller cart to slide on by the mechanical bull. That's new since the last time we were here.



I found out too late that we were supposed to load in before 7pm when the line dance lessons start. Oh well. I'll remember next time. The dancers were polite and let me toss my rig on stage, to the left behind Old Glory.



As I went to park my truck I noticed the Boot Barn. Across the street is the Norco Ranch Outfitters. All up and down 6th street are hay and feed and tack stores. All the storefronts in the main drag have a look that pays homage to the Old West.



After parking out back I walk around front to snap a picture of the entrance.



I was quite pleased to see this sign on the front door.



Hello honky tonk! This place hasn't changed much.



As the line dancers finish their lessons I strategically place a Shiner Bock on stage to wet my whistle.



Hey! Look at that! Arnie must've forgotten his cowboy hat. He's done that once or twice before.



Wow, Drummer Dave is in the red zone.



Johnny Magic Fingers seems upset about that. Maybe he wants to be in the red zone too.



Behind Johnny is Sean, our DJ/Bouncer. Hey! Look who else is in the house tonight! There's a celebrity in our midst. You might remember Chelsea. I used to occasionally work in a band with Chelsea and her dad, Jesse, a few years ago. Chelsea was having a girls' night out.



Of course, we had to get Chelsea up on stage with us. You go girl!



I don't see how Arnie can stand to play Merle Haggard without a wearing a cowboy hat.



Dave's not in the red zone any more.



I did not get a good picture of Pedal Steel Paul on Friday night. Here's one of Paul in the red zone.



John seems to have settled down but he looks a little green. I hope he's not coming down with the boogie woogie flu.



Hey! Looky here! Our buddy Sal buys the band a round of shots on the last set. Just what we need.



And that was pretty much our Friday night. Jed and Arnie had brought the PA but only half of what we used at the winery last weekend. Jed hung around the first set and a half to dial in the FOH. After that it was pretty much "set and forget". I had my IEMs dialed in and everything felt great. Chelsea loved the sound of the band so it must've been OK.

And we're back on a scintillating Saturday night. The old country bass player tunes up while the DJ takes care of the dancers on the floor.



It was a really good crowd both nights. Arnie points at his favorite bass player on this stage.



NOW he's really in the Merle groove! The hat makes all the difference.



Dave's in the red zone again. He's going to score any second.



This crowd loves to dance, line dance, two step, swing dance, cha-cha, whatever.



On a break I wander out to the front patio.



Dave and I are in front of the waterwheel in front of The Water Wheel.



There's a good crowd on the front patio enjoying the evening. I think Cody is enjoying his evening a little too much.



Our dear friend Kathy is here tonight. Everyone say "Hi" to Kathy!



Mortimer the Party Moose watches over the line dancers having their fun. I think he approves.



Johnny got to rip on "Mama Screw Your Wig On Thight", one of my favorite boogie-woogie songs. We haven't played it in a year. John brought the house down.



Hey! Don't point that thing at me! It might be loaded!



Here's our set list for the evening. We didn't follow too closely but at least it was there just in case we couldn't think of anything to play.



Yes, those are tips. The crowd was quite generous. We made $60 each in tips for the weekend. Plus, our buddy Sal was in the house again and sent up another round of shots.



They were delivered with a smile.



Soon it was time to be roadies again. With the band's PA (QSC) and the DJ system (JBL), there was a lot of gear on stage. Plus there were several large TV sets in boxes taking up room. It's a good sized stage but the club is storing too much crap on it. It made the stage a little cramped.



The raised stage is new since last we played here. Let's hope they get it cleared off a bit so the band can spread out a little. Maybe next time. Here's a shot you haven't seen for a while. It's my handy dandy Rock-n-Roller cart all loaded up and making its way out to the truck.



And what's a gig report without a parting shot with one of my favorite brews to top off the night? Was this a normal weekend or what?



Unfortunately we don't have anything on the books for a couple of weeks but you never can tell. Things are opening up and gigs can pop up quickly. We shall see. I hope all of you are doing well and enjoying life. This sure was a little slice of normal. Thanks for looking!


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment