Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Swallows Inn, 3/7/21

 Greetings and Salutations!

It seems like it's been months since I've posted a gig report. I think the last one was before Christmas when we were at Gilley's. This past Sunday we played at one of our favorite honky tonk dive bars, Swallows Inn in San Juan Capistrano. Actually, we played in the parking lot behind the bar but, close enough. We begin our day as Johnny Magic Fingers and I carpool down to the gig. We loaded up a couple of his keyboards in front of my bass rig in the back of Big Betsy.


Then we took that familiar drive down the 57 deep into the OC. There was very little traffic late on a Sunday morning.


This is me and my setup dance partner, a skinny gal named Michelle Stand. Arnie and John are enjoying their setup too.


I brought my LB76 as backup but only took the PB5 out of the case. We were was using the wired IEM system today. I like this setup over the wireless packs.


Johnny warms up his Magic Fingers.


Arnie brought his little rig today. That pedal looking thing on top of that speaker cabinet is the amp.


Arnie also used this Kemper modeling pedal board rather than the monstrosity.


Drummer Dave is making sure his cymbal is set at just the right angle.


Jed ran sound for us while he wasn't on stage playing acoustic and singing. He does a great job at all three.

 OK! We are done with the setup and the sound check. It's been a while since I've been able to don the Scully. It still fits!


Here's a shot of the "stage" area from across the parking lot, um, dance floor.


Just before we start the set my friend Deb buys me a beer from Rebecca while Arnie and Paul photobomb. This is my first beer in weeks! A nice Stone IPA.


Let the festivities begin! I'm chomping at the bit. I want to play! Somebody count it off! I'll play the bass part!


On the first break we say "Hi" to more friends we haven't seen in a while. Here's the lovely Kathy Diane.


And here's everyone's favorite real estate agent, Tami.





Tami and the old country bass player. Wow, I really look old in this picture. I think Tami turned on the "geezer" filter.


It was a good crowd, lots of familiar faces, lots of two stepping.



To continue, it seems I caught Dave in the zone. We had a ton of fun today. Dave sings great harmonies and our voices blend well.



Arnie is thinking real hard about what Merle Haggard song to play next.


Oh, hey! I know! Let's get Claire up to sing a few. Capitol idea! Everyone say "Hi" to Claire!


On the next break John and I decide it's time for tacos.


These were the "crazy tacos", steak and lots of other good stuff. Excellent!


John and I enjoy our tacos on the back patio.


You could go inside the bar only to use the restroom. I had to wash the tacos off my hands and found only a single ladies undergarment hanging from the ceiling.


I think Paul is having fun today! He played fiddle and steel for us.


And yes! We have achieved line dancing! My gig is now complete.


We finished the last set, packed up our gear, said our goodbyes, and promised we'd be back soon. John and I put our stuff back in Big Betsy.


There's not a lot of money on this gig but it's fun and it's good for a paid rehearsal. The crowd was generous with tips. That's good. Otherwise one of us would've been working for free. It stayed a little cool and cloudy all afternoon but nobody minded. Everyone was glad to be out in the fresh air, dancing, dining, drinking, making noise, just like it should be.

Arnie's been working hard trying to book what he can. We've got a few gigs here and there and it looks like things will pick up over the summer. Things have to get back to normal soon. Thanks for coming along today. Let's do it again soon!


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
 

No comments:

Post a Comment