Tuesday, June 1, 2021

My Roadie Gig, 1/2/21

 Howdy Buckaroos!

I know it's been a while since I've posted about my gigs. I haven't had that many gigs but they are starting to come back as the world gets over the fear and madness. It's time I get caught up on the few gigs I have played the last few months. Here's a gig back in January that I actually didn't play but instead assisted my friend Gary. It's actually kind of fun being a roadie.

My friend and neighbor, Gary asked if I could help him out on his gig last Saturday. I was more than happy to. He was working with a band based in Huntington Beach called 24k Country ( Facebook link: 24k Country ) and they were playing an outdoors-ish gig in San Juan Capistrano. Gary asked me a few weeks ago and I've been looking forward to getting out of the house and listening to somebody else play for once. Sometimes I get really tired of hearing myself play all the time. Anyway...

I met Gary at his house and loaded up his really nice gear in the back of Big Betsy. It fit like a glove.

Traffic was really light on this Saturday evening, we made good time on our trek down into the deep, dark OC, arriving before call time. This venue is located just about a block west of the Swallows Inn and has been several different places throughout the years. It's a collection of railroad cars with a big covered patio on one side next the the train tracks.


It's now an Irish Pub called Paddy's Station. I think it used to be called just "The Station" at one time.


The load-in wasn't too bad. There was a ramp into the venue but a long carry down the long hallway between the patio area and the railroad cars. Gary and I both donned our masks while we were walking through the venue. We can take them off once we sit down or get on stage.


Like I said, it's a looooong hallway.


We roll past the bar area into the main room of the patio. The stage is on the far end of this room.


For Gary's warm-up act he gets a lounge-y piano bar performer who did a fine job on the out of tune baby grand.


They were not seating anyone in the railroad cars themselves, but it's a neat atmosphere.


Gary and the keyboard player, Dave, do their setup dance. Seems the drummer is cutting it close.


I see the drummer has arrived. Here's a picture of Gary's rig. The G&L with the Genzler kit sounded great and carried the room without PA reinforcement.


There ya go! The setup dance is complete, the stage lights are hot, the camera is on, and I think the band is in tune. Something's going to happen soon.


Yes! Live music and dancing! The band, 24k Country, has a nice repertoire of classic country, classic rock, and newer country, a good mix. Rich plays guitar and sings, Steff sings the girl stuff, Dave plays piano and sings, the drummer Joshua drums, and Gary keeps it all together.


Look! Gary is on TV! How cool is that?


The band played three sets and kept the crowds enthused all night. I had fun 'people watching' and listening to another band work.


OK, I think Gary is having fun too. He is "dating" the band right now. I guess there have been no firm commitments either way and he's wondering if they will call back. Young love is so fickle. I think the lady singer and drummer are in another band as well, Steff and the Silverados. (I happened to see Stephanie's FB page with her other band.)


Since I was driving tonight and I wanted to make sure Gary and his nice rig got home OK, I enjoyed a Beck's non-alcoholic barley pop. It's actually pretty good pilsner style beverage.


I was having a great time until the drunk chick next to me start chatting me up. "Are you from Jersey?" No. "Wanna dance?" No. All of a sudden she grabbed me by the neck and said, "I'm bored. Com'on! Let's dance!" I politely thanked her and insistently turned her down. It upset her a little but at least she left me alone after that. I thought I was going to have to resort to telling her that I was a bass player. That surely would have sent her packing.

Even the last set had much merriment and revelry. I know this looks like a room but it's actually a patio with the curtains pulled down. There were heaters up near the roof it if gets too cold. It wasn't that cool this evening. I think Stephanie saw me taking a picture and smiled.


The band was scheduled 7:30 to 10:30 but played a couple of encores. Gary and I made our getaway as soon as was polite.


I had brought my handy-dandy Rock-n-Roller cart just in case. I'm glad I did. It came in, um, handy. We made good time packing and loading Gary's gear. I didn't even think about helping with the PA since I was Gary's roadie and not the band's.

I had a good time hanging out. Thanks Gary! I called Drummer Dave (of True Willie and Country Club fame) since he lives close. Dave came out for the second set. It was good to see Dave. Dave had played here years ago when it was called something else. I'd never been here before but I did see a few familiar faces from the Swallows Inn crowd. It was a good evening and we both made it home safe and sound.

Thanks again to Gary for sharing your gig with me! God bless.


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
 

No comments:

Post a Comment