Tuesday, November 5, 2019

The Ranch, 10/11-12/19

Hey gang!

We had our Friday night at The Ranch and it was a thing. We had two subs in the band but I don't think anybody noticed. I had to leave work a little early so I could get to work.


My buddy Johnny Magic Fingers met me at the stage door. 


I was already set up from Wednesday night so there wasn't much for me to do in preparation for the evening. I'm ampless using IEMs and my basses were right there on the stands where I left them. So I went straight to the green room and ordered supper. I had a couple of my favs, the Buffalo Chicken Sandwich and Heirloom Beet Salad. 


Then we ran over a few tunes. Dave, from the True Willie Band, is on drums this weekend. Arnie is always playing a guitar, always. 


Then we hit the stage, and we hit it hard. 


Here you see John playing cowbell. Yes, cowbell. Don't worry, he had plenty of cowbell. 


Just before we start the second set Ms. Amanda humors this old country bass player. 


And we're off again! We played a few tunes from Amanda's CD and a bunch of classic country. 


Here's my tablet that I used to mix my IEMs. We're starting to get all the bugs worked out of Arnie's IEM system. 


Here are the set lists from the second and third sets. 



Jed sings a song and Dave puts on the show. 


John smiled when I pointed my phone at him. This must've been a long guitar intro. 


At the end of Friday night John and I both had to load out half of our gear because we are both pulling doubles on Saturday. John took two keyboards, two amps, a mixer, and a bunch of cables. I took one bass. Sometimes it's good to be king. 


John and I both have doubles on Saturday. John's playing four sets in the afternoon. I'm playing only one set. But it will still be a long day for me so I'd better shut this thing down as soon as I show you my nightcap. 


<the next evening, after my early gig...>

Here's the rest of the story at The Ranch this weekend. Earlier in the day I had played a set at the Irvine Global Village Festival with the Kelly Rae Band (separate gig report). Then I scooted on up back to The Ranch for some supper. I had the Steakburger and one of Bill's not-so-favorites, the Heirloom Beet Salad. 


I enjoyed the baseball game on the big screen in the green room. The NYY were on fire. 


Then we heard DJ Leo play the last line dance before we hit the stage so we took our places. 


It was a good crowd on Saturday night, a fun crowd. Jed steps up to the mic to sing one of his big hits. 


That's the key Johnny Magic Fingers uses to play his cowbell. He's got all the sounds. 


Drummer Dave had a really good night. He's played with us a few times before but this was his first time at The Ranch with us. He was driving the bus like a boss. 


While enjoying a refreshing beverage at the bar I take in the scenery. 


Then we are back on stage having tons of fun. We play pretty much the same set list both nights but the band was really enjoying themselves tonight. 


OK, now we get a little more serious and sing the right words. 


And then soon it was time to say goodbye to all our friends. 


This crew will be back at The Ranch on Oct. 23rd to play another CD release party for Kevin Click. We've done a couple of gigs with him and he's a great singer/songwriter. I'll be shedding his show this week while John and I are in Jacksonville playing the Reba/Willie show. I've had to learn four shows in two months. I guess it keeps me out of trouble. Thanks for spending the weekend at The Ranch with me. Let me post up a quick report from my afternoon show with Kelly Rae. It was a ton of fun getting back together with old friends.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff 

No comments:

Post a Comment