Monday, November 4, 2019

Chapman University Homecoming, 10/5/19

Greetings!

This past Satruday the Country Club Band played a corporate type event on the campus of Chapman University for their Homecoming Hoedown. We were hired for this gig through TEI Entertainment, a good agency to be associated with. They book some big gigs.

I found the closest spot to load in. We just had to roll our gear between those two buildings and the stage was right there.


I arrived pretty early, an hour before our call time, and found the crew putting the finishing touches on the stage.
 

The production crew was from Full Blown Events and were terribly nice, friendly, helpful, and accommodating. Unfortunately, they were running behind so our soundcheck was not as complete as some of us would've liked, but we all got the job done and I could hear well enough to do my job. There were always a couple of crew members at the stage with a walkie-talkie so we could get a message to the FOH guy when we needed adjustments. With the decorations it's starting to look like a real "beans and barbeque" gig. 


Parking was a bit of a hassle. Immediately around the campus is permitted parking only. I had to drive up the street a couple of blocks to park. Most of the band parked in the structure under the stadium, but it wasn't any closer. Here's a picture of the mall as I walk back to the stage. 


What's a hoedown without a saloon? 


Here's one for Tony. I couldn't perform in this hat but I thought you'd appreciate the selfie. 


I see Jason as arrived to join me in the setup dance. Soon the rest of the guys join us on stage. Arnie is on vacation in Hawaii so we have our friend Mike slinging the guitar. He's a great player/singer and usually works with the band Smith. Paul is also joining us on pedal steel/fiddle/banjo. He usually works with Smith too. 


The talent has arrived! Amanda wouldn't miss this gig. One of the owners of TEI is a good friend of Amanda's. Mike and Amanda cheese it up for me


Here's Paul, all set up and ready to sound check. You remember Paul, he's worked with us a bunch. 


I think John is struggling a little trying to see the screens on his keyboards in this bright light. 


OK, we're all ready for our sound check but I think the crew is still wiring the stage. 


The FOH is there on the left under the black tents. We'll get a closer look in a minute. 


We had a quick sound check then retired to one of the classrooms being used for our green room. Sure enough, here's our beans and BBQ. It was good grub. You see Mike digging into the potato salad.


The opening entertainment was a quartet of sibling bluegrass pickers, The Wimberly Bluegrass Band. They were really, really good. They are all alumni of Chapman too. We ended up trading a couple of set with these guys. I really enjoyed their music. Danielle could really pick that mandolin. All of them were great pickers.


While enjoying the first bluegrass set I wandered into the FOH booth and got to know Noel. He did an admirable job keeping all the musicians happy.


After the bluegrass kids' first set we took the stage and had a good time. 


I had to learn a half dozen new songs for this gig. Even the new stuff went well with no rehearsal. 


We were facing the sun while on stage. I was surprised there was no cover for us. 


Mike would step back into the shadow of the truss. 


There were several hundred alumni attending the game today. This was a little party thrown for them. 


The bluegrass kids would play for about a half hour, then we would play for about an hour. Here's a view from behind the stage showing our mess.


These guys were playing some fun hillbilly music and bluegrass versions of classic country. You could tell they've been singing together all their life, rich sibling harmonies.


Then we were up for our last set. We played until the game got started. Amanda is looking at the set list. We had way too many songs and were trying to decide what to cut.


Mike checks the set list to make sure he plays the same song as the rest of the band. We kept the music going with very little time between tunes. Every time Mike had to tune I would just tell a joke.


John played in his t-shirt. It was pretty warm that day.


We had just a few dancers.


It seems Jason is starting one of his songs with a drum beat, maybe "Footloose"?


We were done at 6pm. I got a picture of Amanda with Pete the Panther.


Then it was time to do the roadie thing again. I packed up my handy-dandy Rock-n-Roller cart and then hoofed it over to get my truck and pull it around to the loading area.


And the cherry on top, I enjoyed a couple glasses of Lagunitas Imperial Stout. It's a good stout, lots of coffee flavor and 9.9%


The coming week will be busy, rehearsals or gigs just about every night with a double on Saturday. We'll be at The Ranch Wednesday night for Amanda's CD release party and then back Friday and Saturday nights. Saturday afternoon I have a one set gig with my ex-bandwife, Kelly Rae. That should be fun. I have Monday night off to get my hair cut after work so I'll look good. Then the following week John and I will be flying to Jacksonville for a week long True Willie engagement at the Alhambra Dinner Theater. I think I have a day job too. At least I hope I still have one when I get back. Until then...



Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff 

No comments:

Post a Comment