Thursday, February 1, 2018

Big Horn Golf Club, 1/26/18

Hey guys! It's me!

Last night me and the KRB played a nice party out in the Palm Springs area at the Big Horn Golf Club in their newly remodeled clubhouse.

I had to take a half day off work to make the call time. It was an early downbeat and we had to be setup and soundchecked before the guests arrived. I passed these famous desert landmarks, Hadley's, Rubys, and Morongo.


It's the same old security shack at the entrance. It didn't get remodeled.


Here's the view of the new clubhouse as I drive up to unload.


It's a huge front porch and lots of glass. Mario unloads while Kelly takes care of business.


It was an easy load-in. This is the back of the stage right inside the front door. Pretty cool.



You see Jack is here and has most of the PA set up. I rolled my gear up to the stage.


Then I turned around at took a picture of the room. It's really nice. All of the uneven surfaces and curves helped with the acoustics. It did not sound like a gym.


Because it was a long drive I had to immediately find the little bass player's room. But I stopped to admire some art.


Yes, it's pretty fancy in here. But they didn't have any combs in blue liquid.


Then I had to park over by the tennis courts. All the paying guests got to park closer.


Here's another view of the clubhouse as I walk back to the stage.


Along the way I have to stop and admire the golf carts.



We do our setup dance. Mario reaches over my gear and Skip's little Mackie amp to give Jack his mic cable.


Art and Daniel are discussing the world-altering effects of A=432 tuning.


We got to use the board room as our green room. This place is impressive.


I had time to admire the view from the back patio area.


It was a very pleasant winter day here in the Southern California desert. I love desert landscapes. I guess golf courses aren't too bad either.


Here's the patio, ready for some fine dining.


The main dining room is all set. I'm headed back to the stage for sound check.


Mario brought his small kit today. We all brought small gear. It was a fairly quiet gig.


Jack twiddles the knobs while Skip waits his turn.


OK, we're all set up and soundchecked. Here's a shot of the stage. We're going downstairs to the big dining room for our supper.


This is art on the left and Art on the right. That chandelier hung all the way down to the floor below.


We had the whole dining room to ourselves. The guests would have a buffet upstairs later.


We got the standard chicken and salad with sides. But it was really good chicken.


I think Daniel is quite pleased with his chicken. Art needed more salt.


Mario got a vegetarian plate. Sometimes he'll have a little fish.


And this fabulous plate of cookies didn't last long. Nobody could resist. I grabbed about six and took some home.


Here's a glam shot of the band just before we get started.


Kelly starts the show! We play a dinner set, take a half hour break, then come back with an hour and a half of dance music.


Something I'd never heard on the mic before was spoken tonight. One of the event coordinators came up to the stage with a note and asked Kelly to make an announcement. She took the note and said, "Ladies and Gentlemen, the buffet is open in the Men's Locker Room. Please help yourself to dinner now." Um, OK. It sounded pretty funny. The guests served themselves and then came back to the dining room to eat and drink. But still.

Anyway, back to the show. Skips plays a solo while Jack finagles the faders.


Daniel is not singing "Freebird" and it looks like I caught Kelly in mid-sneeze. Oops.


Mario played with brushes and blasticks all night. We kept the stage volume down and let Jack worry about the FOH. Nobody complained we were too loud. I like working with pros.


I managed to catch a few beautiful people on the dance floor. It was a fun crowd.


 Then we were done at 9:30. The attendees at this tournament have to be up early in the morning for their tee time.


I was loaded up and rolling out of the parking lot at 10:00pm. I had a little over an hour and a half drive home. It was a fun and lucrative evening. This was my last date on the books with the KRB. It was a little sad. There were hugs all around. We told each other we'd work together again. Kelly and Jack said they'd call when they needed me for a sub. We're all still family. I'm just moving out.

Next I'll be at The Ranch with my old friends in the Arnie Newman Band. It seems I've not played there since last August. It'll be fun. OK, gotta shed a few new tunes for tonight.  Thanks for looking!


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff 

No comments:

Post a Comment