Thursday, February 1, 2018

ANB at The Ranch, 1/27/18

Greetings!

Last night was a bit of a homecoming. I hadn't played The Ranch since last August with the KRB. They remembered me! I got quite a few "Hey! What are YOU doing here?" comments because I was working with Arnie. It was fun to get caught up with all my friends on the staff and the regulars.

But this engagement actually got started on Tuesday night with a paid rehearsal. The owner, Andrew, likes to sit in with Arnie and sing a few so he pays for the rehearsal and feeds us supper. It's a pretty sweet deal. When I arrived Tuesday after work Arnie was listening to tunes on his phone.



Jason was getting all of his electronic gear set up. He likes to use lots of tracks even though there are seven people in this band this weekend.


John (Yes, also from True Willie) brought only half of his keyboards since it was just rehearsal.


I get off pretty easy on this gig too because there is such an awesome bass rig in the backline.


This is the monitor room on stage right. Soundguy Mark walks around on stage with his tablet to make sure our in-ears are to our liking. Most of the band uses IEMs for this gig, except for John.


Here's Arnie and Andrew going over a tune while Francelle tunes up.


This is sort of a weird hybrid setup because Arnie and Francelle use only one IEM, plus a floor wedge, plus an amp on stage. John doesn't use IEMs at all. I used that GK amp just because the rest of the band wanted me to. They want to hear me on stage rather than in their monitors. I kept it at a very low stage volume, just enough. Otherwise Mark would tell me to turn down. Here he is at the bridge of the Starship Ranch.


We took a break to have some supper so I took a photo of the stage from out front. This is really a nice room.


After the Tuesday rehearsal with Arnie I played gigs with the KRB on Wednesday and Friday (gig blogs previously posted). Then Saturday I had a nice sunset as I maneuvered the traffic on the way down to the OC.


I took this as I pulled into the parking lot. The Ranch is on the first floor of the Extron corporate headquarters in Anaheim.



I plugged in my bass and took pictures of everyone's gear. They were still set up from last night. You see Austin's guitars and the Twin pointed backwards. Francelle's gear is on the drum riser.


This is Arnie's Little Walter and his guitars next to my stuff.


Randy, steel player, uses a couple of Peavey amps to get his sound. But he uses no floor wedge, just IEMs.


I walk into the green room and who do I see? It's Heather! Our entertainment manager. She's just a doll.


Then I walk out front to put in my order for supper and find my old friend Katie! She always takes great care of the band, such a sweetheart.


I had the Buffalo Chicken Sandwich with a chopped kale salad. This is my favorite sandwich at The Ranch. I had the same thing at rehearsal earlier in the week.


After we all had our supper it was time to put on the show! Here's Arnie, Francelle, and Austin making some music-y noises.


Then on the break our dear friend Yvonne had to come over and say "Hi!"


Then we're back on stage. This band likes to photobomb.


Jason says, "Who? Me? I didn't photobomb anybody."


John is on the end stage left. There's no one over there to photobomb him.


The line dancers are out in force this evening. This place loves their line dances.


The DJ keeps the dancers on the floor while we're on break.


Arnie, Randy, and I enjoy a nice barley pop on the break.


Then we are back on stage for another set. Here's Randy at his steel and Austin on the utility guitars and vocals.


Francelle is ready for another set. She always does a great job.


What did I say about this band and its photobombing habit?


The band plays more classic country, new country, classic rock, pop, and maybe a rap song.


Even toward the end of the night Francelle gives her all.


Jason kept a lid on his tubs. But I get to turn him down in my IEMs if I have to.


The lights come up. You don't have to go home but you can't stay here!


Mark covers the light console and mixer board.
 

It's an easy load-out, right down this little ramp from the stage to our parking spaces.


Of course, all I have to bring is a couple of basses and my cowboy clothes.


It takes me 10 minutes to load out and then forty five minutes to say goodbye to everyone. My trusty Astro van knows the way home. It was a very fun evening. We'll be back again the last week of February. Next weekend we'll be at Gilley's in Las Vegas.

In the meantime I have a copy of the live stream so I'll edit a few clips for your viewing/listening pleasure. I'm still polishing up all the new material. I can hear where I miss a few details here and there, but Arnie and Mark both encouraged me, called me "groovemaster". Ha! I'll take it. With a couple more times through their material it will flow much easier.

Here's a few videos from the evening.









Thanks for looking. I'll see you in Vegas next weekend.


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff 

No comments:

Post a Comment