Thursday, January 18, 2018

Stillwater Spirits and Sounds, 1/10/18

Hello ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, friends and neighbors, in-laws and outlaws,

This was my first gig with the Arnie Newman Band in quite a while. It was a cute little place called Stillwater Spirits and Sounds. They have a variety of entertainment there with Wednesday being their country night. The Orange County two-step folks enjoy the more classic and vintage country music here.

I had a nice long drive down to Dana Point. I was pleased that there was not much traffic and also enjoyed a nice sunset as I pulled off the 5 freeway onto Pacific Coast Highway. You can see the ocean from here.



I pulled into the parking lot and found the load-in door right away. It was very convenient.


I walked around to the street to get a picture of the place. The front of the little retail complex is actually a music school and library.
 

Stillwater is behind the music school, sort of in the middle of the building with a large patio area outside its main doors.


Here's the patio bar.



As you walk in the front door you see the dance floor and the stage.


From the stage looking back to the front door you see the patio bar outside.


It's a small room so I brought my small rig. Arnie brought his tweed. It was a bit much for the room.


After I got my rig set up I took advantage of our food tab. I had the Dana Derby salad, a tasty blend of greens, tomato, grilled chicken, bacon, blue cheese, egg, avocado, etc.


Then Rachael, our "soundman" arrived and got us all wired up. She was a joy to work with.


I told her she is the best looking soundman I've ever worked with. Jason (drummer) told her, "He says that to ALL the soundmen."

I asked Rachael if she'd give me a tour of her soundbooth. She said, "I don't have one. But I have an iPad." All the PA gear is in an ugly pile on the corner of the stage.


Then there are a few of these powered JBL speakers around and a sub on stage right.


It was plenty for this small room. Here we are getting set up and sound checked behind the curtain. Johnny is setting up his "light" rig, only two keyboards rather than four. Francelle can really play that guitar and mandolin.


That's the house kit that Jason is playing. He brings his own cymbals and snare.


As we play the first set I notice a friend in the audience. Drummer Dave from the True Willie band stopped in to say "Hi". He lives about five minutes from this place. You might remember that John also plays keys for True Willie.


There was a song on the set list that I wasn't that familiar with, "Callin' Baton Rouge" by Garth. I took a picture of Johnny's "chart" to help me through it. His notation is not the best, but it helped. I'll have to either write my own chart or just learn it when I have a chance.


The crowd loves to hear Francelle yodel. She's a really fantastic singer and her yodeling brings the house down.


The crowd shows their appreciation. The place was packed tonight but it's pretty easy to pack a place this small.


We played three sets starting at 7pm. I'm glad it was an early night because I had a bit of a drive. Johnny packs up. (You see the PA system's sub-woofer on that side of the stage.)


I was on my way home shortly after 10:30 and arrived just a smidge over an hour later. It's a good thing to be home relatively early on a school night.

I've got another date with Arnie tomorrow at a place called the Old Crow Smokehouse. We'll have a little different set list there because they like more modern country, line dances, and rock. I have to shed more tunes tonight. Then Sunday night we're at the Skyloft in Laguna Beach for their country night. This place is a little inconvenient because it's upstairs but there's a pretty good backline and sound system so you don't have to haul too much gear.

I guess the gig reports will be coming fast and furious. Thanks for looking!


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff 

No comments:

Post a Comment