Monday, January 8, 2018

LBF Christmas Choir 12/17/17

Hello dear friends,

I am amazed and humbled that some of you would miss my yammering on about myself and my gigs. Thank you for your kind thoughts and words. I don't usually post about my events at church but since you've asked, and this one was kind of special, I'll tell you all about it. Thanks!

First let me tell you about other things I've been doing to keep busy, since I haven't been gigging much.

My trusty Astro van needed a little love. The rear end was making a lot of noise lately so I decided to service it myself. I'm glad I did because my oil change place has not been topping off the differential, even though they say they do. I knew I had a little leak, but it wasn't that bad. I pulled the cover off and found less than a quart of gear oil in the differential.


Those are bubbles you see on the main gear, not metal shards. They had all been collected by the magnet on the cover. I guess it's been a while since the last maintenance.


Anyway, some cleanup, a new gasket, a couple quarts of synthetic gear oil, and good old Astro was much quieter and running smoothly.

Then I decided to make my drafty old house a little more festive. It's getting harder each year for this old man to crawl up on the roof.


I strung up a few strings of lights around and this was the final result.


Maybe next year I'll do something a little fancier. I was a little lazy this year.

Then last weekend I played on the worship team at Life Bible Fellowship Church, where I've been a member for 20 years. Our green room has recently been spruced up a bit.


Wednesday night, the usual rehearsal night, was extra special because the Christmas Choir was there and we were served supper.


We were treated to lasagna, salad, and garlic bread.


And there were plenty of desserts.


This is the stage decorated for Christmas. There are no amps on stage. We all use IEMs. This Sunday there were floor monitors just for the choir.


Here are a couple of shots on stage during rehearsal. That's Andy up front, the worship pastor, giving direction.


The bass player takes a selfie.


The drummer, Daniel, is in his cage running the "loop" (tracks) and click.


This is Kevin, playing acoustic guitar. He's got a great voice too and sometimes leads worship on Sundays.


Then on Sunday we use this monitor in the green room to let us know when to enter the service. There is a countdown and with the choir we start our entrance at 1:30 before "downbeat".


This is our view as we enter the worship center stage. It's still early but we had three full services this Sunday.


The choir is all lined up ready to make our entrance. We have to keep it down to a dull roar because along this hallway are the grade school classrooms.


In between services we could visit the kitchen for some breakfast. Besides a big crock pot full of steel cut oats we had fruit/yogurt parfaits, bagels, danishes, cinnamon rolls, croissants, juice, coffee, etc.


After we play during third service I sneak back into the sanctuary to sit with my family and take notes while our teaching pastor, Dan, talks about joy for the third Sunday of Advent.


I've got video from the worship service. I enjoyed learning this arrangement.



After church I pack up my Carvin and then try to beat the Baptists to lunch.



I love this time of year, Christmas time. I can walk around at work singing Christmas songs and nobody looks at me funny. Well, at least they don't look at me any funnier than usual.

I hope you all had a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. Love, hope, peace, and joy to all!


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment