Monday, January 8, 2018

Dairy Queen event at Disney, 1/6/18

Hello my friends,

Me and the KRB played a corporate event at Disney California Adventure, outdoors on a Saturday night. It was a mild evening and under the lights in my Scully shirt, I actually got hot. But I digress.

Here's your sign to let you know you're about to spend all of your money in order to have fun.


Tonight we were loading into BCML and being picked up by a shuttle. Here's another sign that wants to make sure I keep it under 5 mph while on stage. I think I can handle that.


I was first to arrive. The others followed along shortly and we ready our gear to load it on the truck.


The Mouse sent a pickup for our gear and a large van for us. They shuttle a lot of entertainment in and out of the park on a regular basis.


This is the first time I've ever played this stage. It's called the "back lot" stage near the Hyperion Theater in California Adventure.


The staff is getting ready to close this section of the park for the corporate event. It seems that the back line has not arrived yet. We put our instruments back stage and wait in the green room, watching football.


The green room was very close. One of the crew came to get us once they got the back line set up. We had about ten guys on the crew this evening. This was a high dollar affair for Dairy Queen, all of their employees, franchise owners, families, company big wigs, etc, from all over.


I get to play on another fridge with an SVT classic. I've played two of these amps this week and didn't have to move either of them. You see Noel on the left working on the drums and Cassidy on the right getting the lighting set up.


I brought my backup bass but left it leaning against the wall back stage, tuned up and ready to go, just in case I needed it.


Hal does a quick line check on his back line gear.


Mario adjusts his kit.


Daniel doesn't use back line gear. He prefers his Bheringer monitor thingy. Art got a Deluxe.


Here's the guys in the control booth running FOH, monitors, and lights.


We got dressed in our stage clothes for sound check, just in case it took longer than expected.


Mario started the evening with his jacket on. He had to remove it later.


Hal is so cool, he never noticed that is was a frigid 51ºF this evening.


After sound check we had time to go back to the green room and watch the Chiefs lose. Our downbeat was 7:30pm for the corporate event. We take the stage.


Just before the event starts, our coordinator uses my phone to take a picture.


You can certainly tell who's party it is tonight. These LED screens behind us played crazy patterns all night long, but the logo stayed solid.


Now we're into the show. You can probably tell this is Daniel and "Devil Went Down To Georgia" as we close the first set.


We had a really good crowd most of the evening.


The guests were served food and alcohol all around us.


Behind our stage is the Hyperion Theater. To the right of that is the new refurbished Guardians of the Galaxy ride.


Chicago, or what's left of them, was playing in the Hyperion tonight. Pete Cetera wasn't even playing bass for them tonight. We had good crowds until they started their concert. Oh well. We played our last set to a small but very appreciative audience.


Then at 10:45 I unplugged my bass and walked away while the stage crew handled all the heavy stuff.


We caught our shuttle at 11pm and I was home right about midnight after playing three sets. It was a pretty cushy gig. I've played three gigs this week and never had to lift an amp. Dang, I'm spoiled. Tuesday I have a rehearsal with the Arnie Newman band and Arnie has an amp in his studio for me. I'm gonna really get lazy if I keep this up.

I hope all of you who are not in the Southwest are staying warm and dry. Watch those fingers and toes for frostbite. They're kind of important. Take care.


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment