Monday, July 24, 2017

Yorba Linda (Hurless Barton Park), 7/23/17

Howdy neighbors!

On a late Sunday afternoon me and the KRB played at Hurless Barton Park in Yorba Linda CA for their 2017 Concerts In The Park Series. It was our first time at this park. I parked in the Civic Center parking lot and rolled my gear in. It was a bit of a schlep. I guess I could have pulled my van in but I would've had to go and park anyway. It was more convenient to use my Rock-n-Roller cart. Since I arrived plenty early, before 3pm, I had plenty of time to get my gear on stage.



The sound crew was ready and waiting for us.


They had a lot of nice powered QSC speakers. I brought my larger rig with my biggest fan.


The cover over the stage area made for a pretty nice environment. It was a pretty pleasant evening in the shade. We started a little earlier than most summer concerts, at 5:30pm.


When this concert series first started the bands used to face the little amphitheater but that was outgrown quickly. It was decided to flip the bands and have them blow out to the park to accommodate more people.



I didn't forget my amp-selfie this time.


Kelly visits with Daniel's wife, Kelly, while Daniel sets up.


Mario decided to pull right up to the stage to unload.


Art, Daniel, and Mario contemplate the stage cover as they set up.


We were wondering who was going to stay in the shade the longest. It was me.

The FOH guy, Donny, used this great little QSC mixer. I've seen a few of these lately. Everyone who uses them loves them.


They used a couple different models of these Alto floor monitors.


They sounded fine. I could actually hear myself sing today. I'm not sure if that was a good thing but my voice is not hammered like it usually is when I can't hear myself. The band and sound crew continue to set up.


Mike gets Mario's kit mic'd up. Danny is putting a mic on Art's amp.


For those of you who are wondering, Mario uses one of these Roland octapad thingies for sound effects and to run a few tracks.


Here's Donny running the FOH from out front with his tablet. Donny and his brother Danny also play in a band. One is an 80s band and the other is a surf and Beach Boys tribute.


This is Danny and Mike, keeping watch in case the band needs anything. This crew was great, made our job so much easier.


 I'm not sure what Art is looking at.


And Skip is looking lovely during sound check this afternoon.


But I think Kelly is looking lovelier during sound check.


After sound check I had to use the little bass player's room. In the Park and Rec building was a little tribute to Tommy Lasorda. Yorba Linda is also the home town to Richard Nixon.


On the way back I stopped to admire the view of the stage area from across the park. This was Yorba Linda's first park.


Before we got started, some of the city crew gave away some t-shirts with a t-shirt cannon. Those things are fun!


The crowd always fills in the shady spots first.


The band is backstage enjoying the t-shirt cannon.


We are just about to get started. Kelly joins me for an amp-selfie. We play a ninety minute set from 5:30 to 7pm. It was a really early night.


Kelly gets the show started.


Mario is having fun. Hey, do you see a celebrity in the house?


Watch out! I think the band is starting to rock!


Skip is colorful in his red plaid shirt. That's his favorite color, plaid.


I'll bet Daniel is talking about ol' Johnny busting heads with the devil, something about a "fiddle of gold".


Kelly is getting ready to shake her tambourine.


The kids become honorary members of the band when Kelly passes out rhythm instruments. The moms watch.

 
 We had a few line dancers too but I thought I'd spare you. Do you remember that celebrity behind Mario? Did you see him? Well it was none other than the young and handsome Trent. Trent plays in a really good 90s band. He and his lovely family came out to the park to enjoy all the noise. Great seeing you Trent!


Trent took a couple of photos of the band in action and shared them. Thanks Trent!



 Then it was time to do the roadie thing. It's what we get paid for after all.


The next time I play with the KRB will be Aug. 5 at the Sawdust Festival. That's the first gig that Alex, my sub, will be performing with the band. He can do only the first two sets before he has to get to another job that day. I'll be doing the last three sets.

I have a Patsy Cline tribute gig with my old band, The Runnin' Kind, next week. That should be fun. It's been a while since the old gang has gotten together. I'll tell you all about it after the gig. Thanks for looking!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff 

No comments:

Post a Comment