Monday, July 24, 2017

Irvine Regional Park, 7/20/17

Hey everybody! It's me!

This past Thursday me and the KRB had a pretty cushy gig at the Irvine Regional Park.


As I rolled my gear up to the back of the stage, The Federal Empire (Youtube) was just finishing their sound check. We played a set opening up for their set.


I put my gear up on stage and took in this view of the lovely park.


One of the sound crew is striking the stage for us. I think that's Jarrod.


I went to go park after unloading and found Mario rolling his stuff up to the stage. We could have pulled our vehicles into the park but the curb was too high. I thought my Astro Van would break something.


This is Mike, the FOH guy. We've worked with him before. He does a surprisingly great job for such a young guy.


Here's the view from the mixing console. Mike did mains and monitors from here. 


All the lads have arrived and are getting situated on stage. Art is always happy to get his picture taken.


Mike gets the kick drum mic'd as Mario continues to set up. He brought a really small kit today because we had to make a quick changeover.


I brought my larger outdoor cabinet. I don't think anyone will have any trouble hearing me.


Then Mario had to make the trek all the way up the hill to the little drummer boy's room.


Lo and behold! Two angels arrived with nectar from the gods! I certainly took advantage of their hospitality, in the form of a free can of Red Bull, the new apple flavor. It was tasty!


When Mario got back it was time to sound check. FOH Mike uttered those famous words, "Gimme some kick drum!"


Then it was Hal's turn. He didn't bring an amp today and just ran through the monitors.


Art and Daniel await their turn to sound check. Art seems happy about it.


We are all sound checked and the stage is all set for us.


I wandered around the grounds a bit to take in the sights. I noticed we were getting our power from a couple of Honda generators off behind the stage.


The local GMC dealerships were represented.


Along the other side of the concert area were more vendors, a food truck, a tent from Ruby's Diner, and the local (world famous) KROQ radio station.


This was our green room. It was nicer than a lot of tents because it was dark. The white tents seem hotter, especially because they are so much brighter inside.


Awaiting us inside the "green room" tent was food! Wahoo's Fish Tacos catered this shindig for us. I enjoyed a fish taco, chicken taco, black beans, and rice. The salsa was pretty good too.


And look at the drink bucket! Not only were there sodas and waters, there was a selection of Lagunitas, a good local brew. 


I thought I would take a stroll while sipping on my Lagunita Li'l Sumpin, but the rangers steered me back to my holding pen. 


Here's a band shot just before we take the stage to open the show. 


Kelly helps Mario sing a song. 


This is Mario's "train beat" smile. 


Daniel tells a story about a fiddle player riffing with the devil. 


It's still pretty warm so the crowd sticks to the shade. A lot of them were way back there at the top of the hill under the trees. 


Kelly's singing for the trees!


People were content to sit in the shade. Once in a while someone would walk right up to the stage, take a few pictures or a video, then go sit back down. 


The audience didn't seem as far away as they look in the pictures.


We played a forty five minute set and then quickly cleared the stage for the next "band". 


I say "band" in quotes because The Federal Empire tours as a trio and uses tracks for just about everything. This is McKay and Chad posing with Kelly. 


Then they take the stage to do their set. Just piano and a couple of guitars. Everything else is on their tracks. They are able to rock 3000-5000 seat theaters and arenas even without a full band. It saves them a lot of touring logistics and expenses. 


Chad and I were talking before his set. I described his music as "bro americana" and he said that sounded about right. They describe themselves as "alternative" americana. It's pretty good. I like their song "I Never Liked Your Friends".

The crowd started to move a little closer and fill in a bit as the sun went down. I stuck around for a few songs but wanted to get home early. 


And that was my Thursday evening park concert. We have another in Yorba Linda this Sunday. Thanks for checking out my electron stream. You guys are the greatest.


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff 

No comments:

Post a Comment