Thursday, July 20, 2017

Diamond Bar (Sycamore Canyon Park), 7/19/17

Hello my friends,

Yesterday evening me and the KRB played at Sycamore Canyon Park in Diamond Bar. We played here four years ago and I love this summer gig because it's ten minutes from my day job. I didn't have to drive over an hour for once. ;)

We got to park right behind the stage. No schlep!


The sound crew, Rich and Frank, get the stage set up. You can see the inflatable movie screen on the other side of the ball field. After our set the movie was "Cinderella".


This is Chris, our FOH guy. We've worked with him a few times. He's a nice guy, affable and helpful.


Chris and his crew work with Ross Creations. We've worked with this company many times, always a good experience.

I had never seen these EV mics before. They were used on the guitar amps and I thought they just looked classic.


Everyone is busy getting the stage set up. It was a little cooler today, still warm-ish, but we had plenty of shade even though we were not covered.


Here's a shot showing the whole PA. It was LOUD!


The local cable access channel had three cameras for video. I was told the video would be available on the city TV channel (and hopefully online) in a couple of weeks.


Behind the sound booth was the video control booth.


I brought my regular "large" rig with the Guild as my backup bass.


Art and Daniel get tuned up and ready for sound check.


The hip, young Mario looks like he is ready to give the sound guy some kick drum.


Skip is going to need awfully long arms to reach his keyboard from there.


We all brought about a half dozen shirts so Kelly could pick out our attire. I think she is upset because Mario brought only two shirts.


Kelly and Skip go over the set list. We played only ninety minutes so we crammed as much music in there as we could.


Skip is ready to get started. The crowd is starting to fill in.


There is very little parking at this park. The guests park at the golf course down the street then ride the shuttle. Here's my selfie in front of the crowd. I had quite a few friends from work in attendance.


Art and Daniel are ready to put on the show. Art is getting pretty good with the rabbit ears.


Mario looks like the stereotypical evil scientist about to inflict music on an unsuspecting audience.


I think Kelly is taking requests via text.


Just before we start, the mayor and the city council make a couple of announcements and introduce the band.


The mayor must've said something funny.


Then it's on with the show! Daniel plays the intro on guitar. Kelly knows this is when I usually take her picture.


Daniel does "Devil Went Down To Georgia". Art supplies the devil horns.


Mario thinks that's pretty funny.


Skip is like, "Hunh?"


OK, let's have some action shots!






When we're done with our set, Andrea thanks us and announces the movie. All the folks have to do is turn around and watch.


We pack up our gear and make our getaway as the audience enjoys "Cinderella".


It was a fun crowd and I feel a little like the BMOC at work today since so many coworkers came out to hear us. Sometimes it's hard to take all this adulation. (JOKE!!);)

Tonight I'm working with the KRB again at Irvine Park opening up for The Federal Empire, a new band with guys who don't even have to trim their ear hair. We're playing only one forty-five minute set so it will be an early night. I don't know if we get to use their backline. It doesn't matter. I just left my stuff loaded from last night. Less schlep!


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment