Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Lake Matthews Grad Party 5/27/17

Hi gang!

This was my second gig of the Memorial Day weekend of 2017. We played for a graduation party for a nice fellow who graduated from culinary school, Hector. He was an excellent host. The day started with me fighting the holiday traffic down the 15 freeway. Local residents know why this area is called "Slow-rona".


Once I got off the freeway and headed toward Lake Matthews it was smooth sailing. 


As you can see, all the lush green vegetation is quickly turning brown now that the rain has stopped and the weather is getting hot. It's going to be a scorcher of a fire season this year. But Lake Matthews was looking great after our wet winter. 


I arrived to the back yard party on time but everyone else was already here. They were even more worried about the holiday traffic than I was. 


Here are the lad busy setting up. Today we have my friend Rick on drums and Skip is back on keys. Kelly's husband Jack is running sound. 


Here's my "big" rig; the Neo410 and MB500 with my LB75. I did bring my Guild Pilot 5-string as backup but I left it in the case. 


Here's a stage shot now that we're all set up. It was a bright day but not too warm and once the sun started to set we got plenty of shade. 


This was also part of the entertainment this evening. There was also a bounce house to the right of the band. The kids had a great time.
 

I was looking forward to the catered barbecue.


You can see the bounce house in the background here as we start to sound check. That's Paul filling in for Daniel on fiddle today.


Here's Rick's pretty blue kit. He's putting in his hearing protection. He has always worn hearing protection for the 25 years I've known him.


Skip is on keys and singing the high harmonies this weekend. I asked here where the "bass pro shop" was and if they had good prices on Fenders. 


This is the view from Hector's back yard, overlooking the lake. 


Here, let me zoom in on the lake a little bit. 


After sound check we just look at our phones for a while until downbeat. 


Then we were told that we get to have supper before we start playing. Cool! You don't have to ask us twice. 


I had the sausage, BBQ rib, and brisket with some beans. I passed on the bread and potatoes. I'm trying to watch my girlish figure.
 

There were also snack and drink tables, chips, cold cuts, adult beverages, etc. 


I didn't try the Jungle Juice, but that Knob was smooth! 


This was full of a nice product from Ballast Pointe.


Now that we've been fed and drinked, it's time to start making some noise.
 

The line dancers are already on the floor.

 

Art is singing one of his big hits. Paul can really wail on his fiddle. We've known Paul for a long time and was in the band for a short time when I first joined going on six years ago.


Kelly claps along.


Here's a glam shot.


For dessert we had fresh, and I mean really fresh donuts.


 After dessert we're up for one more set. The line dancers are back.


To honor the grad.


At the end of the evening there was more food! These are called pupusa. They are Salvadoran, a thick corn tortilla stuffed with cheese and pork.


You put a little sauce on it along with some cabbage slaw and eat it like a taco. Man, these were great. I had three of them.


Then it was time to pack up our toys and go home. It was really a nice party.


I've got two more gigs to report on this weekend. We played at Newport Dunes for the "Boots On The Beach" festival opening for Pickleback Shine. That's the band that my friend Greg plays with. I'm also playing the beer garden at the San Bernardino County Fair on Memorial Day. I'm hoping to see Aaron Tippin too. Thanks for looking!


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
 

No comments:

Post a Comment