Friday, June 30, 2017

Baker Ranch, Lake Forest CA 6/17/17

Hello friends,

On a recent Saturday me and the KRB played an outdoor concert in the Baker Ranch development of Lake Forest CA. I'll spare you the traffic pictures. Trust me when I say the freeways were sticky in all the usual places but there were no fender benders or other tie-ups to slow me down other than just TMC (too many cars).

The Baker Ranch development is huge!


I turned onto the street where the park was located and found lovely rows of McMansions.
 

This place is so new there is still a lot of construction going on, with houses being finished on this street and other phases being built immediately surrounding the park. The "cheap" homes start in the high $500K and lots of other from the low to mid seven figures.

Jack was already here setting up the PA. I pulled in front of him and helped unload his gear.


Then I wheeled mine to the stage area, a nice round stone patio but without a cover.


Skyler is helping with sound system duties today.


Just as I move my van Art pulls up and takes my unloading spot.


Since I'm on the gig pretty early I decide to take advantage of the hammocks in the shade behind the stage.
 

When the band started making noise I figured it was time to sound check. I told them, "Hold it down, I'm trying to take a nap!"


Mario recently did a little horse trading and got a new pretty red set of drums.


We had a food truck on the gig today, Dogzilla.


Right after our sound check we decided to have supper before it got busy. This is the LA Street Dog, bacon wrapped with grilled onions and peppers, cheese, Jayo sauce (like a spicy mayo with jalapeƱo), on a sweet King's Hawaiian bread bun , with garlic fries. I was impressed!


It was a good sized park with lots of amenities for the kids (not pictured).


The stage is all set.


I decided to try something a little different and set my amp on a crate. I could hear it a little better, I guess.


We were slobs today and just left our empties scattered behind the stage.


Shade was in short supply. We are all lined up in the shadow of a palm tree.
 

I think this is only the second time you've ever seen me in my cowboy hat. I rarely wear hats. But when there is no shade you have to bring your own.


Kelly kicks off the show. There were eventually about four hundred people there but they were spread out all over the large park.


Our line dance instructor was stuck in traffic so she was a little late. After she arrived we took a five minute break so she could teach the crowd the Electric Slide, then we played one.


Kelly handed out rhythm instruments for the kids so they could play along with the band.
 

At the end of our fist set Kelly got her daughters up to sing a couple of their new songs. Jack writes some catchy tunes for their girls.


Jack also plays bass when his daughters perform. I just wanted to make sure you saw that he was wearing shorts on stage. The cad.


On our break the dance instructor keeps the masses entertained.


For my break time I had myself a shaved ice, cherry and lime.


Skyler is manning the FOH and doing DJ duties for the dance instructor. What's he looking at?



Maybe these lovely line dancers?


Nope, he's got his own shaved ice.


Then the band is back for the second set. Kelly and Daniel kick off the intro to "My Church".


I think Mario wore his red plaid shirt to match his new drums.


Hal was having a good time this evening. He's a good guy to work with.



The bass player takes a selfie during the intro to another song.


Daniel wows the audience with "Devil Went Down To Georgia".


At the end of the night we have cord salad at the snake, right in front of the kick drum.


Then we pack up and load out in the dark.


I remembered to bring a couple of flashlights, which helped. They are handy things to have at outdoor concerts in the evening.

Coming up we're at Downtown Disney and then more park concerts and corporate events.Summer is pretty busy for us. I may be using up some bandwidth with all these gig reports. ;)


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff 

No comments:

Post a Comment