Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Born Country at San Bernardino County Fair 5/29/17

Hello again my friends,

This was the fourth gig of my Memorial Day weekend of 2017. An old and dear friend asked if I could help him out on this one. He's trying to start a new project, knows I'm busy, but thought he'd ask me just in case I could do it. And I could! This was one of those gigs that I knew would be just plain old fun, mostly because of who I'd be playing with. I didn't ask about money or food or accouterments or anything. Just tell me where and when to show up.

Joe Eiffert and his wife Teeci were playing on the Garden Stage (beer garden) at the San Bernardino County Fair on Memorial Day with drummer Kevin O'Neil. Joe has toured with people and Kevin does radio and TV work along with the drumming thing. Joe and Teeci have a band called Southern Spirit. Kevin has a band called The Working Poets. But members of their perspective bands are busy with other projects so they decided to combine forces and start yet another project. It may turn into an Alabama tribute. We'll see. But I digress...

I loaded up the trusty Astro Van and headed for the "high desert" as we call it here in So. Cal. The SBC Fair is held in Victorville, about an hour from where I live.


It was "holiday light" traffic and I arrived right on schedule.


This is the arena where Aaron Tippin performed that evening.


I pulled up close to the beer garden to unload and roll my rig in.


Joe and Kevin were all set up and ready to go.


Kevin was trying out his new digital mixer and software. I guess this was a good gig to do that, low pressure. his PA sounded really good. It was all Behringer stuff. I was pleasantly surprised.


This was his new digital wireless mixer, Behringer x18. He hardwired his laptop but it is wireless capable to an iPad or similar.


Joe plays great and sings great. I mean really, really great.



This was our stage. It was shallow but we had plenty of room.


I guess we're about ready to start. Kevin joins me in my amp-selfie.


Joe chats up the audience. Teeci really wails on that acoustic guitar. She's good at strumming the "cowboy chords" and filling up the sound.


We had a good crowd all evening. They loved the old country music we were playing, Merle, Cash, Dwight, etc.


Teeci puts down her guitar to sing a tender love ballad.


I gave my phone to my daughter so she could take a picture of the band. Well, you know teenagers...


That's her boyfriend in the photobomb. Here's a picture of the band on break.


Now it's time for some supper. How about some fair food? The pork chop on a stick was DELISH!


Then it was back to work for another set before the Aaron Tippin concert starts.


Here's yours truly, probably not singing Wagon Wheel.


After our second set I headed over to check out Aaron Tippin. He sounds the same as he did 20 years ago.
 

He looks great. I guess he's still working out every day just like he used to.


I wasn't with Joe when Aaron let him back stage on the bus. I was not in the right place at the right time.


Here's a photo "back in the day" of Aaron with Joe and Joe's dad, Leo. Leo is pretty well known in the industry too.


After the concert we have one more set to play. The stage looks a little nicer under the lights.


I got to sing "Brown Eyed Girl" tonight and, it never fails, a young lady ran up to the stage and said, "I'VE got BROWN EYES!"


We played until the fair closed at 11pm. It was a fun time.



Kevin's daughter took a little video on her phone. Here's an impromptu "while you wait" medley arrangement.




 And now you've seen all my gigs this Memorial Day weekend. I drove from north San Diego county, to Riverside county, to the beach in Orange county, to the high desert in San Bernardino county. It was a long, enjoyable weekend. I hope you all had a chance to be thankful for the blessings we enjoy because of the sacrifice of others. God bless America!


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment