Monday, May 9, 2016

Six Gigs In One Weekend! (4/22-24/16)

Greetings!

Rather than post separate gig reports I'm just going to lump the whole weekend here in this post. It'll be a long one so I beg your indulgence. The weekend felt like "the never ending gig" but it was actually three separate engagements, America's Family Pet Expo 2016 (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday afternoons), The Ranch (Friday and Saturday nights), and a wedding reception with Arnie at the Calamigos Ranch Sunday night.

I took a vacation day that Friday so that I could load into the Orange County Fairgrounds by 8:30 in the morning.


Here's your sign.


Kelly's girls would do a few songs at the end of our sets to both promote their CD and rehearse for Stagecoach next weekend.

Since we were leaving our gear at the venue, locked up in the ticket booths, I brought my #2 rig.


And since Jack was playing bass with his daughters, as well as running sound, he brought his Dean Hardtail.


A new entrance was built for the Pacific Amphitheater, complete with the stage we used. It looks nice. Can I say that I've played the Pacific Amphitheater now?


Mario showed up with his really cool clear kit. It's pretty new. He's had it only a couple of months. It sounded terrific.




Daniel brought only his Bheringer monitor for his guitar and fiddle. Art was feeling pink today.


The stage is all set, ready to go.


I took a few pictures of A. Rae and The Rescue Dogs as they performed songs from the CD.


I also ran sound while Jack was playing bass. In between sets we did a lot of this....




We played 45 on and 45 off for this three day engagement. The breaks seemed a LOT longer than the sets.

Here's Jack at the sound booth.


Daniel solos during one of the girls' numbers.


Here's Mario's view. There were a lot of food vendors here where we played. We had good crowds all weekend.


Here's a few actions shots of The Kelly Rae Band.


It was bright and windy all weekend, but not too hot.



Kelly loves to perform.


Here's the merch table with the girls' CD for sale, "Songs About Dogs". Half of the proceeds go to animal shelters.




I was pleased to meet Grant. He's a friend and fellow bass player in the area and he stopped by to have a listen. Thanks for coming out, Grant. I can't wait to come hear you guys at the Beatnick Bandito.




At the end of the afternoon we packed our gear, locked it up in the ticket booths, and headed for The Ranch.


We didn't have to sound check at The Ranch because we had a rehearsal there earlier in the week. Since I hadn't eaten all day, the first thing I did was order supper. Friday night I had a Caesar salad with grilled chicken and a buffalo chicken sandwich with fries. I was hungry!



After supper we watched the Angels play for a bit.


This is my rig for The Ranch these days. I walk in, plug into the DI box, and Mark (soundguy) has my IEM pack waiting for me on those unused monitors you see.


Mario warms up his drum throne.


Art has a bright smile.


Oh, that Art!


Kelly puts on the show!


We were having fun on a Friday night!





My face looks a little red, like I've been out in the sun today.


Jeff hammers away.


Kelly sings "It's All About That Bass (Player). Not!


The band is roaring out an electric slide!


The next day we're back at the Pet Expo on the Orange County Fairgrounds. Here are some more pictures from the Pet Expo on Saturday and Sunday.

For the most part, everything seemed to be about dogs but there were a few other animals around.


How about a horse of a different color?


These were on display by a guy named Dana who advocates for the preservation of wild horses and their habitat.

I found a cow too.


And I found some surfing dogs.


Here's a wider shot of our performance area.


This was the "Family BBQ".


Here's another shot of the girls with Jack playing bass.




While Jack is playing bass, I'm running sound.


This was from Sunday afternoon. I was kinda pooped!

Let's finish up at The Ranch on Saturday night. Kelly Rae took the night off so Kellye Huff sat in with us and did the singerbabe duties.




Kellye and Andrew kicked off the night.




 

Andrew gives Art a high five as we complete his guest appearance.


Kellye brought a couple of outfit changes for this evening. She's quite a stunner.




I guess Art and Daniel have grown rather close being on that side of the stage for years.


Jeff says, "The number for tonight is 3." Or does he mean we're in the key of A?


Kellye switched to her jeans look a little later in the night.


Who's that guy with the hair?


Saturday night and the crowd was looking good!


It was a fun weekend at The Ranch working with both Kelly Rae and Kellye Huff. I got off at The Ranch, went home for a nap, got up Sunday Morning to play the Pet Expo, then drove to Malibu to play a wedding reception with the Arnie Newman Band. It was a long day. Here we go.

OK, one more gig for me this weekend. I played a very nice wedding reception with Arnie at the Calamigos Ranch event venue. It just so happens that the drummer, Jason, and his wife got married there about 14 years ago.

After my little nap in the sound booth (see above) I blasted out of Costa Mesa at 4:30 hoping to make a 7pm downbeat in Malibu. I was pretty lucky today because the 405 is usually a parking lot. It got sticky only in a couple of places.


It's a nice view as you come over the pass into "the Valley". We're heading north on the 405 here, just about to pick up the 101.


I arrive at the venue at 6:25, thirty five minutes to spare. Just enough time to plug in, take a quick rest break, grab something to drink, and look over the set list.


Arnie had brought a backline for me, and a mic cable. All I had to do was set up my mic and plug in. Arnie has this Rumble 200 in his studio. It's a banging little amp. I'm thinking about getting one. It's a great little combo.


The lovely Brandi joined us even though she just got back from Vegas playing Gilley's with another band.


After we played a few intro songs we all sat down for dinner. The chicken was not rubber and tasted great.




Jason and John had the prime rib. We all enjoyed a glass of red wine. For dessert we all enjoyed a piece of wedding cake, spice cake. Wow, you can tell by my face I've been out in the sun all weekend.




Then it was time to get the party started! Here's "Mr. Tele" himself.




We played a bunch of dance music and not a lot of country but the kids didn't seem to mind.



Here's the bride tossing the bouquet. Everyone had a great time.


Everyone enjoyed themselves. The coordinator and several of the guests made it a point to express their appreciation. Then it was time to clean up this mess.


By the time I helped load out, give a jump to a lady who's car was stalled in the parking lot, and then drive home, I was in bed by 2am, an 18 hour day, my third in a row. That was six gigs, twenty four sets, a few hundred miles, in three days with about 5 hours sleep each night. I'm glad to get back to work so I can get some rest.


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff 

No comments:

Post a Comment