Thursday, June 4, 2015

Spreckles Park, Coronado Island 5/31/15

Hi,

We had a great time this evening playing at Spreckles Park on Coronado Island. We were the first country band they've ever had in the history of this concert series. It's a neat old park with a good sized gazebo in the middle. We played a "concert in the round". It was a long commute down to San Diego but there was no traffic. 
I like this part of the 163 freeway that goes through Balboa Park.




Not too much farther down the road I went over the Coronado Bridge from downtown.




When I pulled into the park to unload the sound company was still setting up. J and S Sound did a great job taking care of us.




After unloading and parking I found this sign letting the patrons know when they could start hanging out.




This was the view as I started plugging in all my gear. It was a nice day on the island.




We had six monitor mixes. Cool stuff. These were the arrays on either side of the stage. I think this is their new RCF gear.




A few QSC power amps. I think they had power to spare.




And your standard Yamaha LS9 32 channel board. Good stuff.




My traditional "amp selfie" during sound check.




Kelly and Jeff are ready for sound check.




Mario is almost ready for sound check.




Alan, one of the fine sound crew, is feeding Art his mic cable.




Daniel is really getting into his sound check.




This is Alan and Stan of J and S Sound. They were great to work with.




I wandered around the park a little before our show. People brought blankets, chairs, and tables with wine, cheese, crackers, and all kinds of goodies. It was a fun atmosphere.




We're all set up in the gazebo. It's almost time to put on our cowboy clothes.




A view of my rig and the crowd behind me. I played my LB76 for the whole show and had the Guild just for backup. It was just a single hour and a half set.




Looking the other way across the back line you see more of the crowd. There were 2500+ people in the park.




Here's a panoramic shot of about halfway around the gazebo.




OK, Jeff is ready to put on the show!




Mario and Kelly are ready!




Art and Daniel are ready for the show too. Did somebody blink?




Kelly and I snap a quick pic before we get started.




I think Kelly is letting the kids know that it's time to do The Chicken Dance!




It looks like Mario has already started The Chicken Dance.




Jeff is very excited to do The Chicken Dance.




Art and Daniel are more than happy to do The Chicken Dance.




Don't worry, the band is behaving itself and nobody got arrested for doing the chicken dance. The officer is there just to help give away some prizes.




Kelly does one more song for the crowd.




What's that? They want an encore? Of course they do!




So Jeff pounds out the intro to "Don't Stop Believing".




You don't have to ask Art to smile.




Kelly sings us off into the sunset.




Now it's time to get our "roadie" on.




We are just about out of here. It's a beautiful evening. 




Since they didn't feed us at this gig, I stopped by a California favorite burger joint. It's been a while since I've treated myself. 




And I had me a doube-double with fries and a chocolate shake, about 1000 calories of California goodness.




I was home by 11:00pm. I drove 4.5 hours to play a 1.5 hour gig. I must be a musician or something.


Up next is a corporate event we did at the Disneyland Hotel on June 3rd, playing a private party for Google. It was amazingly fun. I'll post that up soon. Thanks for looking!


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment