Tuesday, May 21, 2019

The Ranch, 5/10-11/19

Friends, Romans, Bass Players, lend me your ears (or maybe your eyes)!

This weekend Arnie and I are at The Ranch playing our regular monthly hoot-nanny there. Here's a view of my office as I slide down the dinosaur's tail.


Yabba dabba do!

I arrive at the club before doors (5:30pm) and catch Mark at the helm getting stuff ready for tonight.


When I arrived, Arnie was already there. He changed strings on all three guitars before we took the stage.


Before the first "Carrie Underwood Tribute" set we ran over a few tunes (vocally) in the green room. Then it was time to have some supper. This steakburger is great and the heirloom beet salad is the best.


Here's Dev teaching the Cowboy Cha-cha. It's a very popular couples dance out here.


I'm taking the stage and there's nothing you can do about it.


It was great to see Amanda's Mom out tonight.


I brought two basses this weekend. I used them both. Arnie brought five guitars. He used most of them.


I've got time for a selfie before we get started.


Hereeeeeee's Johnny!


Here's a couple of shots of the band.


Amanda had family and friends in the house. She kind of showed off a little.


A shot of the line dancers. Is it my imagination or do these folks look like they're having fun?


Here I am with the lovely ladies about to start a set. We've got some photobombers.


Crystal and Amanda always enjoy working together. Usually Amanda was up front but it was Crystal's turn for this song.


After we had our fun I enjoyed a Volcano Mudslide when I got home. It was left over from my TW gig last weekend at Feather Falls.


On a break we visited with Arnie's old high school buddy, Tony. He's in town from Michigan.


Randy said "Hi" to the ladies.


The live stream sounds better. I hope to get a copy of it later. But for now here is a Carrie Underwood song from the first set that Amanda's Mom took with her phone.



We had some more fun Saturday night at The Ranch. It was an easy commute down into the OC early Saturday evening. I guess most folks were staying close to home in preparation for Mother's Day.


Right behind that tree is the stage door. It's an easy load-in. But we're already set up from last night, so it's even easier. Just plug in, tune up, and play. 


And just to let you know, I've been shopping for a new gear hauler. My trusty Astro van is soon to be retired. Maybe in a week or two Bob van Astro can go to that great parking lot in the sky.

I walked in the door and three of our favorite fans are already there and making requests for a song they like. I'm happy to oblige Kathy, Stephanie, and Toni. 


But first I need to have some supper. I skipped lunch again because I knew I could pig out at The Ranch. I opted for a lettuce wrapped Buffalo Chicken Sandwich and green salad. I'm trying to cut down on my carbs. 


Then it was time for Arnie Newman's Country Club Band to hit the stage. The owner sang a few with us to start the night and then we were playing the dance music for all the good folks here. 



Jason was in good form tonight. 


Paul joined us again tonight to supplement Randy's steel with some acoustic guitar, fiddle, and banjo. Amanda is always a delight to work with. We did not do the Carrie Underwood Tribute show so Crystal was not here. Boo hoo. 

 


John was playing some hot tasty licks tonight. 


We kept the dance floor jumping all night long. I misread the setlist once and started playing the wrong song. Oops. I don't think anybody noticed.  


The crowd stuck around all night. Even after the lights went up and we were loading out, the diehards were still on the floor dancing to the last song played by the DJ. Too much fun. 





We've got a few gigs coming up next week. Wednesday night we're playing at Stillwater Spirits and Sound in Dana Point. We'll be driving out to Las Vegas on the weekend to play at Gilley's. Until then, thanks to you all who share your fun with us. And thanks for looking! Take care.


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment