Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Stillwater, 5/15/19

Ladies and gentlemen,

Last night was another honky tonkin' good time at Stillwater Spirits and Sounds with Arnie's Hairy Legged Boys Club (i.e. no Amanda). There have been a few TB members who have graced the stage in this room, @Holdsg and @TrentB to name a couple. Anybody else?

We'll begin this report by saying goodbye to my trusty Astro van. Bob van Astro (named by my youngest daughter, 19, when she was barely old enough to speak) has been a faithful companion and hard working gear hauler since 2001. With 200,000 miles he's lived a long, productive life and it's time to let him move on to that great parking lot in the sky. We're donating my trusty Astro van to a charitable cause, Kars4Kids.

Let's all have a moment of silence for Bob van Astro, family mover, gear hauler, co-worker, traveling companion, protector, and friend.


I was able to let my trusty Astro van enjoy his rest there in the cul-de-sac while I figured out the new loading Tetris game in my new Big Betsy and head into South Orange County. We must be getting close, I see the ocean.


Stillwater is in Dana Point on PCH just a couple blocks from the beach.


When I arrived most of the band was already here. I tossed my gear on stage and went in search of a dark beer.


It's my usual rig, Carvin RL210 cab, GK MB500 amp, Carvin LB76. My old Fender JBS with the flatwound strings is in the case backstage, just in case.


Oh hey, look! Here's Shannon to help me with my urge for a dark beer. I usually have the Dark Seas but they had swapped it out for something else. They did have a Patsy on tap. That's the beer I drink when we play at the Old Crow Smokehouse. It'll do very nicely. Thank you Shannon!


After a quick soundcheck the curtain is about to open. Arnie points at his favorite old country bass player and Randy smiles in giddy anticipation.


Jason was like a caged animal tonight. He couldn't play as loudly as he usually does so he used that energy to play a bit more intensely. I like it when he does that.


The OC Two Steppers are out in force tonight. I love this crowd and they love us.


Our soundman, Paul, tweaks Arnie's mix on the first break. Paul is a great guy to work with, and he knows his stuff. Paul is using both eyes now, healed from his surgery, and can do without the pirate eye patch.


On the next break Arnie and Randy have a little rehearsal to work out a lick. When those two are in sync it sounds great.


Afterwards, Randy joins me at the bar to say "Hi" to one of our favorite drummers, Dave, from the True Willie Band. You might remember Dave fills in for Jason on occasion.


And then we're back with some mandatory Merle. I don't know why Randy is camera shy this set.


OK, there he is. I think I caught him off guard. He usually likes to geek the camera.


Jason must be looking at a lyrics sheet or at the set list to get the tempo for the next song. He likes to play with a metronome in his IEMs.


John was having so much fun he just would not stand still. This is the clearest picture I had of him all night. The crowd enjoyed two-stepping to his big boogie-woogie number.


Here's your old country bass player selfie from the stage.


I just love those blue lights that dance around the whole room.


We came, we saw, we played, we drank, and we got tipped enough to pay my bar tab. That's always a good night. Then I think I figured out a better way to Tetris my gear into the back of Big Betsy. I'm using tie straps for now until I get my hard tonneau cover and non-slip bed mat, ordered today.


After an idiot check of the stage I take one more parting shot of my new gear hauler before I climb in and let her take me home. Big Betsy is very nice.


Of course it was raining the next day, on my new truck. I'm driving up to Las Vegas tonight to play at Gilley's this weekend. It'll be fun to get my new Betsy on the open road. Since I don't have to bring an amp to his gig I can put my basses and luggage on the back seat for now. OK, thanks for looking. My next report will be from the strip in downtown Las Vegas. Everyone take care and have careful fun! Break a leg! Yay band!


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff 

No comments:

Post a Comment