Friday, March 8, 2019

Empire Polo Club, 3/1/19

Greetings friends and neighbors,

This old country bass player had a full weekend working with the ANB on Friday and Saturday with both gigs being out in the Palm Springs area. I burned up a whole tank of gas driving out there and back twice. We had an early call time on Friday at 2:00 PM for an 8:30 downbeat. Once I got there I realized why.

I left early to allow some wiggle room in my travel time. You never can tell if your going to have a flat tire or run into a tornado. I stopped at my neighborhood Walmart to pick up some pick-me-up and because they didn't have any cold ROCKSTAR, I thought I'd try something new. The labeling says you have to be 18 to buy this stuff. The can contains 300mg of caffeine and I like the flavors, somewhat less artificial tasting.


I head east out to the desert. The Empire Polo Club is in Indio and is the site of the Coachella and Stagecoach festivals every year. The weather was threatening rain.


The I got into the desert the more the weather cleared. The traffic got a little notted here at the windmill farms because of a lane closure and a fender bender because somebody didn't know how to merge.


We got to park at the end of one of the polo fields next to the event venue and stage area. I was first to arrive.


Looking at that generator I could tell this should be quite an operation.


I rolled my handy dandy Rock-n-Roller cart through the gate right up to the back of nice big stage. The stage crew hadn't hoisted the trusses yet. They were still adjusting lights.


I walked around to the front of the stage to get a view of the grounds. To the left was the entrance, next to the Date Shed, another smaller indoor event venue. The client, some kind of lawyers association, would be busing in about 800 people later.


To the right was the Hacienda Tent where the guests would be having their supper.


The production company had received our stage plot and were ready for us. This is the monitor console.


They had racks of gear that looked very impressive.


This is Scotty, our light guy for the event.


Here's the view from the FOH. That's a VENUE 48 channel mixer. I'm not familiar with those. But I don't get out much.


Brite Ideas was the production company on this event. They were all very professional.


While the stage crew were doing stage-y things I took a walk around the facilities. This looks like the main polo field.






What a beautiful day it is out here in the desert. This is "the season" when all the snowbirds travel here to escape the cold. I found this cool old restored mail carriage.


Behind that rusty fence is our green room on the left and the Date Shed on the right.


Jason rode with Arnie today. Johnny just arrived too. I'll give them a little hand schlepping gear.


 I see they've raised the truss. That scrim on the back is aluminum screening. It will look pretty cool later.


The crew is making sure the truss is level and secured. We exit the stage for a little while.


Behind Johnny you see Eric (FOH) an Patrick (monitors) getting stuff wired up. I'm easy. Just stick an XLR cable in the back of my amp and I'm done. 


Jason brought his small kit because it fit better in the truck. Don't worry. It will be plenty loud enough. 


In his best falsetto, Arnie tests Amanda's mic. Amanda is coming later because she couldn't get off work as early as the rest of us. 


You can tell the wind is picking up because the scrim starts to fly up behind Johnny as he sound checks. The stage crew secured the scrim and the wind died down later. 


After our sound check we retire to our green room. From the outside it looks like a garage. 


Funny, on the inside it looks like a garage too. Thankfully it's been painted, lighted, decorated, and furnished. It's a pretty cool place to hang out. 


One of the portraits on the wall was of John Paul Jones and his 12 string Manson bass. Pretty cool axe. 


We actually have an opening act tonight. It looks like the crew is getting ready to sound check them. 


This is Gin and Lace, Ginny and Lacy, doing their sound check. I've met Lacy before and most of the band also knew Ginny. These ladies really know how to fiddle around. They will be playing during the cocktail hour before the guests have their supper. 



Then we all retire to the green room for supper. Our handler, Landon, went next door to the Tack Room and got us some take out. 


I enjoyed the tasty roasted chicken, sauteed spinach, and onion rings. Johnny had the ribs and said they were great. 


Then I thought I'd take a little walk and see how Gin and Lace were doing. The crowd loved them.


It was a well-attended event. That area in front of the hay bales will be full of dancers later. 


Ginny and Lacy play to karaoke tracks. They both sing but performed all instrumental music for cocktail hour. 


The guests will be enjoying a nice buffet. 


The staff has that big tent looking quite cozy. 


Looking back at Gin and Lace on stage you can see the scrim really pop when the lights hit it. 


What with that old mail wagon, we just couldn't resist a band picture.


The lovely Ms. Amanda Kate graces me with a selfie just before we take the stage.


We came on at the end of Gin and Lace's second set and played a few with them to make a seamless transition to the dance portion of the evening's festivities. It was a hoot playing and singing with those ladies.





I was sad to see Gin and Lace leave the stage but we muddled on through with our country-pop-rock variety show.



Ms. Amanda had the crowd shaking their money maker with her Aretha song "R-E-S-P-E-C-T".


We played one long two hour set and then one encore. The crowd had a great time. The staff was very complimentary. I'd like to do a few more of these parties during "the season". Then I packed up my gear in a hurry so I could see an old friend of mine play in downtown Palm Springs.


My dear old friend, Rick, was playing a Las Casuelas Terraza in Palm Springs. I got there just in time to hear the last few songs before they quit at midnight.


This has been a house gig for Mark, the bass player and BL, for twenty four years. Rick (drums) has been on the gig for about four years now. The guitar players have been there for twenty years also but sub out sometimes. They are a tight band with good harmonies and play all the cool tunes that get the folks on the dance floor. Rick and I had a beer after he packed up and got caught up. I think I'll come back tomorrow after my other gig out here on Saturday. I have another gig report for you. Thanks for looking at this one.


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff 

No comments:

Post a Comment