Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Cowboy Country Saloon, 3/8-9/19

Howdy partners!

This weekend we were back at one of the few real live honky tonks in So. Cal. The ANB and I played Friday and Saturday nights at the Cowboy Country Saloon in Long Beach. This gig report is an amalgamation of both nights. We were here the first weekend of January and we're thinking that a weekend every other month, when it fits into our schedule, suits us just fine.

As I headed west on the 91 toward Long Beach I realized that we missed a spectacular sunset by only a few minutes. Friday traffic was OK but there was a wreck Saturday night which brought the freeway to a standstill. I had to play chicken to get off the freeway at the nearest off ramp and then take surface streets for the last 10 miles or so.


As you pull into the parking lot you see the big red barn that is the Cowboy Country Saloon. This place has been here for a very long time. I played here in the 90s when it was called The Silver Bullet.


I roll my gear in past the box office. Megan usually works back there. I'll get a picture and introduce you next time. She's a sweet girl.


I tossed my gear on stage, grabbed a beer, a did a little more exploring to share with you. In the last gig report from here I showed you the gift shop. Behind the gift shop is the game room complete with giant jenga and beer pong tables.


On the other side of beer pong against the wall are a couple of neat old instruments, a pump organ and a spinet piano.
 

Johnny is running a little behind schedule. I guess there was a wreck on Friday night but I got here before it happened. Lucky me. I like getting to the gig a bit early, either to avoid the wreck or allow me enough time to get around it.


Our dear old friend Paul is subbing in for the next couple of weeks while Randy is on vacation. Here he is getting tuned up while the DJ plays a ten-step for the dancers. That's the DJ booth behind Paul.


I'm not sure what Jason is looking at. Who can know the mind of a drummer?


Johnny Magic Fingers is all set up and ready to make all the sounds.


On Fridays the mechanical bull is working on the north dance floor. It's a good crowd tonight.


This is looking down from the upstairs bar onto the main dance floor. It's a good sized club and holds 400-500 patrons on a good night.


From the same vantage point here is a view of the stage.


It must be time for a "holler and a swaller". It's a Nashville tradition for when the band needs to wet its whistle in the middle of the set.


This crowd knows its line dances but they love to two-step too.


I think Arnie is just about to hit me with his head stock. I'd better duck.


On a break, here's the view of the dance floor from the DJ booth. We have to go across the DJ booth to get to our green room.


And Johnny's back at it, playing his big boogie woogie number. It always brings the house down.


Arnie puts on the show playing an extended intro into one of his big hits.


I did not eat at the club on Friday night but on Saturday night I went upstairs to the kitchen to talk to my friend Cindy. She always takes good care of me.


For supper I had a grilled chicken salad, fried zucchini, and washed it down with Shiner Bock.


In all the regular rooms we play I have a favorite beer. This room is the Shiner Bock. Old Crow is the Patsy stout. Stillwater is Dark Seas stout. The Ranch is the Legend Golden IPA. At Swallows I drink the Sculpin IPA because they don't have any dark beer there either. Drat.

Here's a shot of our gear. As you might notice, the club has put a few new rugs on the stage. Arnie says they found them in the dumpster behind the Goodwill.


Hey! Looky who's here! Tami came out Friday and Saturday night to support the band. She is such a sweetheart.


We had many friends come out this weekend, some who usually see us at The Ranch. One couple was in town from Las Vegas and came in on Saturday night. Elyssa and Jody bought the band a couple of drinks. One of the birthday parties bought the band a round of drinks. We had lots of liquid applause this weekend. I had to cut myself off.

Here we are on Saturday night just about to start another set. We play five sets here, a half hour on and a half hour off. That makes for short sets but a long night


Arnie thanks the dancers and the listeners for their enthusiasm and recognition. It's a friendly crowd.


And then Cindy, bless her heart, likes to bring the band freshly baked cookies before she closes the kitchen. Cindy is great.


There are a couple of birthday parties in this picture. The table on the right is our new friend Paul and his party. They loved our Merle songs and bought us a round of liquid applause. The balloons were for Chastity's party.


There goes Johnny, wailing away again.


Jason keeps time on the rim.


At the end of the night we all follow Arnie into the DJ booth so he can split up the booty.


Then we load out amongst bar stools with their legs in the air.


Just for grins and giggles, here's a video from the weekend.



It was a fun weekend. We haven't rescheduled this place again yet but we probably will. Next weekend we will be at The Ranch but Amanda won't be singing. At the Empire Polo Club gig she hurt her voice and the doctor told her not to talk for ten days. She'll be taking it easy for a while and Crystal will be filling in. We've been told it's not that serious but will take some time to heal a tear on her vocal chords. Let's hope and pray for a full and complete recovery.

That was my weekend. Thanks for stopping by and letting me share my fun.


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff



No comments:

Post a Comment