Monday, September 10, 2018

Downtown Disney, 9/5/18

Greetings my good people,

Tonight me and the ANB had another pleasant evening at The Magic Kingdom's Downtown Disney District, the section that looks kind of like a slum because everything is closed. It's a shame all of those businesses were closed (three restaurants, a theater, a Starbucks, etc) in order to make room for new hotel construction that's not going to happen, at least for quite a while. It looks like they'll be booking bands on this stage at least through the New Year. As I make my way down into the OC I always pass the exit to the Nixon Library. It's actually a pretty cool place.


Anyway, as I get close to the venue I notice the dragon on top of the Lego store. This is where Disneyland Drive goes under the DTD District.


I roll in from the parking lot and through security to find most of the band in full setup dance mode.


Today we have Sean himself, owner of Mxxmaster Sound, running the board while Robby assists.


As Paul sets up his pedal steel you see the Lego dragon I drove under while getting to the employee parking lot.


Randy couldn't make this gig but Paul was available to play fiddle and steel. Paul usually works with our friends in the Smith band. Here are our rigs for tonight. I usually use my small rig for this gig but I left my "large" rig in the van from Sunday night because I didn't want to unload/reload for Wednesday. Dang, I'm getting lazy.


You see the Habit Burger and the Brewwings trucks in the background. Did you also notice that the soundman put a mic on the potted plant? The plant is new on stage and a little green but did a fine job.

Here's our friend Paul. We've done quite a few gigs together over the last 20 years or so.


Amanda and Arnie are ready to put on the show. Sean is ready to twiddle some knobs and faders.


And we're off! This must be that Amanda song with the long intro. I took a bunch of pictures.





Jason looks like, "That dork should stop taking pictures and play the bass."


John is in full regalia tonight. There's room on this stage for all of his gear.


Arnie and Amanda entertain the amassing throngs of country fans.


Yes! We have achieved critical mass! Even with this small crowd, our interactions have cause line dancing to occur spontaneously.


On a break I take a sign-selfie.


On the break, since the line was short, I ran over to The Habit truck and ordered a double char burger with cheese, protein style. It was great. I hadn't eaten all day.


Amanda makes friends as we start up the show again.


On the next break I took a picture of the stage because, like me, it looks a little better in the dark.


The lovely Amanda joins me in a sign-selfie.


Here we are back onstage for the last set. This gig goes from 6pm til 9:30 when the fireworks start.


Arnie kicks off another tune. I guess I'm not playing at the moment.


We played right up until 9:30 because we usually play over and miss the beginning of the fireworks show. Only tonight there was no fireworks show. Disney has moved into their summer schedule with fireworks only on Thu-Sat (I heard). So despite shouts for "One more!" we shut it down and packed it out.


"Tomorrow" we'll be driving out to Las Vegas to play at Gilley's on Friday and Saturday night. It'll be nice to take a couple days off work, get out of town, and relax.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff 

No comments:

Post a Comment