Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Downtown Disney, 8/22/18

Hi folks,

Yes, for this gig me and the ANB were once again the Happiest Band On Earth. Since the hotel construction has been delayed indefinitely we've got a few more gigs on the ESPN Zone stage in the Downtown Disney District. The commute was pretty painless. Here we are going over the hill on the 57 into the north end of the OC, headed south to Disneyland.


Instead of a picture of how far away I had to park, I thought I'd show you something fun, like the coasters in Disney's California Adventure.


I found a map. We're halfway there, living on a prayer. We're gonna make, I swear.


I just have to go around this traffic circle and down the street. I'm going in!


Two blocks later I roll into the DTD district and up to the stage. Everyone is well on their way to being set up but Austin is not here yet.


Since it was so empty at this end of the district, The Mouse decided to bring in some food trucks. Here tonight was The Habit (burgers) and Brewwings (chicken, wings, waffles).


There was also an ice cream truck. In front of the theater were placed a bunch of tables and chairs.


The lovely Amanda takes a selfie with the old bass player.


Here's our lovely sound man, Brent, from Mxxmaster Sound. We've worked with Brent a couple of times. We use MxxMaster a lot.


Austin looks like a young Chris Stapleton.


Amanda and Arnie get ready to entertain.


Jason clicks his sticks to count us off.


Johnny Fingers says, "Hey! I wasn't ready!" Just kidding. We're doing Amanda's song with the long intro.


Amanda sings to the growing crowd.


I try to step out front for a picture but can't get very far.


Johnny Magic Fingers kicks off his big boogie-woogie piano number.


The crowd is starting to notice us.


We took a couple of breaks between our 40 minute sets. Here I am after dark in front of our sign.


We had quite a few dancers this evening. A few of them were really good.


The couple in front were from Arizona and could really cut a rug. They showed us how to swing.


On our last break I walked down just past the monorail track to refill my water bottle. Here's a shot looking back at the west end of DTD.


This was the seating area for the food trucks in front of what used to be the AMC Theater. The Mouse tried to make it pretty and inviting.


Here's a shot of the stage. Johnny Fingers has a very important phone call.


Jason brought his small Breakbeats kit. Since his knee surgery Jason is using his left foot on the kick drum. Hence the different positioning of his kit. Arnie brought his Little Walter combo and a few guitars.


Austin's rig, my rig.


Brent's rig. Here's the FOH console but Brent used his tablet from out front most of the night. Mxxmaster has a lot of these nice little QSC systems, digital mixers with powered subs, mains, and monitors.


Here's Johnny's rig. He could run a PA with it.


It's been a while since I've done an amp-selfie. Why not? I brought my tripod for my phone and used it tonight.


At the end of the night Amanda bids goodbye to a cute little fan.


You can tell it time for the band to stop because the fireworks have started.


Then it's time to earn our keep and get all of our crap off the stage.


I rolled out to the parking lot to find my trusty Astro van waiting patiently for me. He's such a good van.


Thanks for coming along with me this evening. For the next gig we'll be at Buckle and Boots in Lancaster, with Austin but without Amanda. I know we're all going to miss her.


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff 

No comments:

Post a Comment