Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Santa Rosa Plateau, 8/11/13

Hello friends and neighbors!

Last Saturday me and the True Willie Band played a hot and dusty outdoor event, the summer concert series for the Santa Rosa Plateau Ecological Reserve. I loaded up my gear and headed down the freeway past the "Holy" fire burning in the hills between Riverside and Orange counties. Thankfully it seems the firefighters just about have a handle on that fire now.



Our venue was south of the fire a few miles and as I left the freeway to head up to the plateau I could see the wind was favorable, a slight breeze blowing the smoke and ash away from us.


Here's the entrance to the venue, known for its scenic hiking trails.


I decided to just park and wheel my gear in from the parking lot instead of parking closer, unloading, re-parking, etc.


It was a bit of a chore pulling my handy Rock-n-Roller cart across the gravel and dirt. I may have to rethink this next time. Or perhaps get bigger tires for my cart.


The big white tent is for the guests. The stage is covered (Yes!) there on the right. Here's a view from the FOH board as we do our setup dance.


This is not a good picture of Rob (FOH) and Nick setting up the lights. We've worked with Rob several times. He does good work.


Our buddy Chris is also on the crew. He's getting TW setup with a DI box. Nick helps Drummer Dave with drummy stuff.


Since it takes me all of ten minutes to get set up I decide to go into the art exhibit to cool off for a bit. This is one of the pieces for sale, only $8,000. It was made from pieces of wood from an old house where somebody of notoriety used to live in the area.


I made my way back to the stage to see Johnny Fingers all set up.


He'd left his cases, again, all piled up at the back of the stage on top of the sound company's road cases.


But then all I could do with my cases is pull them off the stage onto the trail behind us. I suppose we could have put them in the tent we were using for our green room. Nah.

Our buddy Chris joins John and I in a selfie. The last time we saw Chris was at the Orange Show with Arnie. Chris is a bass player too.


Rob is at the controls tweaking TW's monitor.


Guitar Mike brought his lovely tobacco burst 335 for this gig. Every time I see this guitar it makes me want to buy a bass that matches. One of these days.


Nick looks on while Drummer Dave gets his monitor mix settled.


Here is one of the many informational displays around the trails here at the reserve. You see Rob at the console as the early arrivals start to, um, arrive.


We're set up and all dialed in. We leave the stage after thunderous applause to our sound check and retire to one of the conference rooms to have a light repast.


But first I see our friend Andrea. She is Miss Hospitality and takes good care of us. Andrea doesn't mind taking a picture with the bass player.


On the way to find some grub I stop by the beer tent to enjoy a Marshmallow Stout from Garage Brewery, one of the sponsors here today.


For supper I enjoyed a nice turkey wrap and a homemade cinnamon roll.



The caterer gave us a choice of a wrap or a salad. Johnny Fingers enjoyed the salad.


After a light meal and a cold stout I wandered back to the stage. Here are a couple of shots of the grounds and the crowd.

 

It was bandana day at the concert, in honor of TW's bandana. Lots of folks were wearing them and Andrea found one for me.


This is Barbara (she owns a real estate company), another sponsor, making some announcements before we start.


Guitar Mike is ready to sing his parts and show us how Kris Kristofferson would play guitar if Kris could play guitar.


I take a picture of Drummer Dave while he takes a picture of Johnny Fingers.


This is Johnny Magic Fingers, the calm before the storm.


And we're off! After the first few tunes TW takes a moment to thank some special people.


Then John plays the into to a song that TW sings.


Since John played the intro, TW begins to sing the song. I think that's how it's supposed to work.


As the evening progresses we start getting dancers in the dirt.


Sure, I've got dust on my boots.


TW croons another pure Willie song.


I decide to kick up my heels and maybe shake some dust off.


We took a quick break to raffle off some items and somebody wanted to get their picture taken with True Willie.


Then suddenly, all heck breaks loose!


This is Ginger, the director, in full "Willie" regalia, making some announcements before we start the second set.


We came, we played, everyone had a great time, then we got back to our roadie roots. Chris strikes the stage while John unplugs his gear.


Then I drove home, unloaded all my gear, then re-loaded all my gear plus my PA system. I'm the soundman for my gig tomorrow. I'll put up another post for that.


Thanks for coming along with me. I'll be back later to share a reunion gig with my old bandmates. Until then, please remember, don't text and drive.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff 

No comments:

Post a Comment