Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Laguna Festival of Arts, 8/4/18

Hello friends,

Saturday evening me and the True Willie Band had another wonderful time at the Laguna Festival of Arts. Even though temps were in triple digits at my house they were only in the high 70s in Laguna. It was just about perfect for an outdoor gig.

Traffic was heavy for a Saturday afternoon and the line of cars getting into Laguna Canyon was nuts. In addition to the FOA/POM the Sawdust Festival was also going on. Traffic and parking were the worst I've ever seen there. This picture doesn't really tell you how bad it was.


I arrived later than I wanted to, rolled my gear on stage, then tried to find a parking spot for my trusty Astro van. Here you see Mrs. Drummer setting up Drummer Dave's kit while he parks. 


The parking lots near the venue were all full. I had to drive back down the canyon about a half mile to find a spot. Then I hoofed it back to the stage to set up.


I made it back in time to tune up. 


Sid was on the ball and had everything wired up perfectly. We did a very quick sound check. I played exactly four notes on my bass and the mic check consisted of "One hen, two ducks, three squawking geese." Here Sid is wiring up Drummer Dave's kit. 


Johnny Fingers did the quick and dirty setup, leaving his cases behind him on the stage. 


Now that we're set up, we are starting to get in the mood for the show. Everybody say "Hi" to Drummer Dave. 


TW asked me to soundcheck his guitar and mic. I feel a little out of place. 


After our super quick sound check we dashed back to the green room to change and have a drink and a snack.


We sang a little warm-up in the green room then made our way to the stage. 


We got a really good crowd this evening. You see Sid in the sound booth getting hydrated just before we start. 


And it's on with the show! TW had many friends in the audience tonight. 


Drummer Dave sings the Waylon parts and lays down the beat. 


Guitar Mike sings the Kris parts and just wails on his guitar. 


Johnny Magic Fingers is all over his keyboards. He's got all the sounds. 


Just before we start the second set, TW and I have a selfie in front of the crowd. We even get a photobomber. 


TW tells the story about how most of his wives do not like this next song, "To All The Girls I've Loved Before". 


But then he brings it home by saying something mushy like, "You gotta love a few wrong ones to find the right one."


At one point in the evening TW introduced us to a couple he knew who are getting married. He invited the whole crowd to the wedding. 


Then we played our closer and TW left the stage. The crowd cheered for more.


So TW came back and we played a couple more, right up until the boss gave us the no-go sign.


TW exits stage right for some meet-and-greet while we play him off. 


It was a very friendly crowd this evening. 


TW got a lot of attention. 


I almost thought Jennifer Aniston was in the audience tonight. 


After all the schmoozing it was time to roadie up. We pack up our gear while Sid strikes the stage. 


Then I hoof it a half mile down the road, past the Sawdust Festival, to get my trusty Astro van and drive back to the venue. 


TW took us all out for dinner at BJ's after the gig. I enjoyed a nice sirloin with a stout. 


It was a great evening. Next Saturday me and True Willie and The Boys will be playing at the Santa Rosa Plateau Ecological Reserve fund raiser. We played this gig last year. It's a hoot. Until then, thanks for sharing my fun.


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment