Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Eastgate Park-Garden Grove, 8/2/18

Hello my friends,

It was another warm summer evening here in Southern California, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average. Yesterday me and the ANB played for Garden Grove's Summer Concert Series at Eastgate Park, a nice park in a nice town.

The event started when I left the office a couple hours early. Right across the street from my office is a construction site that has been there for two years and will remain there for another two years while a new sports complex is built. It's been dusty and full of big earth moving equipment shaving down what once was a big hill on that side of the street. There will be a new football stadium, track and field complex, a practice field, tennis courts, an olympic pool, an underground parking structure, and whatever else they can cram in there before the 2020 Olympic season.


There was light traffic as I made my way down to Eastgate Park in Garden Grove.


I pulled around to the south side of the park where I saw the clamshell stage. Garden Grove's finest was kind enough to move the barriers and let me in.


The officer told me that I could probably park near the stage. He was right. I think somebody made that sign just for me.


I unloaded my trusty Astro van and rolled my gear up to the front of the stage then took a few minutes to picture our surroundings. It was a good sized stage with a pretty big sound system.


The console was located in a nice spot. The sound crew was helping to wring out the lines.


One poster advertised the "Voice of Garden Grove" singing contest for local high school students. The other had the schedule for the concert series.


I tossed my gear up on stage to get set up. Arnie arrives.


All of those chairs eventually filled up with people. That's how you claim your spot. Johnny and I claimed our spot on stage.


Randy arrives and gets set up. Someone asked me what pedal steel he plays. I found out it's a JCH pedal steel. They are getting a bit rare since Jimmie Crawford died and no one is building more.


Our sub drummer, Jeff, arrived without his rug. I let him use the floor mats from my trusty Astro van. It did the job.


This is one of the high school students in the singing contest. They each took a turn sound checking while we were setting up. They were all really good.


This is Eddie, the FOH guy from Centerstage Sound. (Sorry, I couldn't find the sound company's website.)


Here's a view of the stage from the console.


The food trucks have arrived!


Amanda and I take our soundcheck selfie.


Jeff obliges when the soundguy says, "Gimmie some kick drum!"


Johnny Fingers seems surprised that we're soundchecking.


Arnie points his guitar at me. I told him I hope it's not loaded. He said, "Yes, it is!"


Amanda gets her new wireless mic wired up and her monitor adjusted to her liking.


The singing contestants went on first. So we got together for a band photo before we stormed the stage.


The bass player takes a selfie in front of the crowd.


There was a pretty big crowd at the park today.


Jeff lays it down real nice. I just wish he'd use smaller sticks. (Dang! I'm getting old.)


This rolling band shell wasn't as harsh as some I've been on. The wall material was a little softer and reflected less. We were all thankful for that. Even Amanda was able to enjoy herself.


John is wondering what the next song is. We got off the set list a little bit. At one point I didn't know what were were playing. Luckily I figured it out quickly when Arnie played the guitar intro. Whew!


Amanda sings pretty. This must've been "I Feel Like A Woman". It's the song that has the longest intro when I'm not playing.


Look out! They're starting to dance. The Garden Grove citizens were fun. We all had a good time.


I seems Amanda got too hot and took off her shawl.


During the second set the sun was going down and the harsh florescent lights of the trailer were illuminated. I guess Amanda got cool and put her shawl back on.


The crowd came alive as the temperatures cooled.


Here's one more picture looking stage right.


We had a blast and then it was time to get our roadie on. While I was talking to friends everyone else cleared the stage pretty quickly.


The Chick-Fil-A truck brought over some chicken sandwiches for the band and crew. That was very nice of them. The band was nice enough to save one for me. I snacked as I loaded out. I like Chick-Fil-A.


John and I are the last to pull away, me because I was talking to friends, and John because he has a lot of gear to pack up.


And that was my Thursday evening summer concert in the park this week. On Saturday John and I are back with True Willie playing again at the Laguna Festival of Arts. The next dates we have with the ANB will be at The Ranch on Aug 17-18. Any time you'd like to check the ANB schedule just click here: The Arnie Newman Band - Orange County Country Rock Band - Calendar

Thanks for coming along with me this evening. I hope to see you soon. Take care.


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff



No comments:

Post a Comment