Monday, July 16, 2018

Victoria Gardens, 7/13/18

Hello my dear friends,

It's been a busy week for ol' BassCliff and friends. My fourth gig this week was with the ANB, a.k.a. Arnie Newman's Country Club, for the KFRG Summer Nights Country Concert Series at Victoria Gardens.


This is the closest gig I've ever done with the ANB. Just a quick jaunt down the historic Route 66 and I was at Victoria Gardens, a high end shopping/eating area with its own cultural center and performing arts center.


While there is plenty of parking around the shopping center there is none close. John and I decided to unload in this "police authorized only" area, then quickly park in one of the structures.


The weather was pretty warm but not entirely unpleasant after the sun went behind the buildings in the "town center" where we were playing. I rolled on down to the stage and found our friend Flash, of MxxMaster Sound, working hard to setup the sound system. It seems Friday the 13th affected his arrival time.


As his name suggests, Flash was ready in time for sound check and took good care of us. The stage was in one corner of the town square. Neither the crowd nor the band had to face into the sun.


There was a play fountain for the kids to keep cool just outside the grass area where our audience sat.


This is our host, Pepper, from the radio station and Mrs. Arnie.


Most of the on-air personalities at K-FRoG have froggy names like "Heather Froglear", "Anthony Frogatelli", and "Dennis Hopper". I asked Pepper why she doesn't use a froggy name. She said management did not approve of the name she wanted to use, "The Pond Star".

Candy gets tuned up and warmed up, not that there's much warming up needed.


Arnie and John work with Flash to get the monitor mixes set.


Amanda had a big meeting at work today and got to the gig about 10 minutes before downbeat. Austin is still not here yet. He had a three hour commute in traffic.
 

Very good. Austin arrives and Flash gets him wired up in a flash.


Pepper welcomes everyone, announces the band, and we're on with the show.


Austin sounds great on his acoustic.


Amanda sings her heart out.


Yes! We have achieved line dancing! In the grass even!


The radio station set up their tent in the other corner of the square. I'm sure they were giving away SWAG and stuff. I didn't get any.


On the break I ran into these guys.  It was great to see Gary and Chris, fellow bass players, at my little gig.


I also ran into an old friend who used to go to my church. This is Tammy. She didn't realize I'd be playing today. It was pure happenstance.


During our break the dance instructor, AnnMarie, had a good crowd.


Then we were back at it for another set. It was really a nice crowd.


Arnie is inviting the line dancers back out on the grass.


Flash checks up on us during the show to make sure everything is OK on stage. Austin is happy.


The crowd filled the entire square and beyond.


At the end of our set Pepper got back up to thank everyone and give away some stuff, concert tickets and the like. It was a fun event.


It was just after sunset when I rolled my gear out to my trusty Astro van, which was parked a couple of blocks away in the structure. But it wasn't as far away as Downtown Disney.


I'm off tomorrow, no day job, no gig. I think I'll order pizza and watch Netflix all day and all night. It's been a busy week. Next week we have Downtown Disney one more time on Wednesday and then Friday we'll be back in Lancaster at the Buckle and Boots. Thanks for stopping by and for letting me share my fun.


Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

No comments:

Post a Comment